[Springboard] So. we are started

Terry Bergdall bergdall2 at usa.net
Sat Dec 1 10:07:12 EST 2007

personal brainstorm from Terry Bergdall, 30 November 2007

THE TASK (Contradiction?)

What is calling you forth?

-within my nation, concern about establishing common ground and
moving beyond entrenched narrow positions that are disrespectful of others;
-finding practical ways to embody the same in local communities so
that a sense of victimization is overcome; I am struck with how
fatalism at different levels is a form of victimization;
-creation of new mythology appropriate for our times;
-the environment and the legacy our generation is bestowing upon
those who will follow;

Who else do you work with?

Professionally:
-my major client as a free lance consultant is an international
development/management group called GRM;
-the Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) Institute at
Northwestern University where I am an adjunct faculty member;
-the Leadership Practice with Public Allies providing training with
volunteers and host agencies of VISTA, AmeriCorps, and other
organizations funded by the US's national service program;

Social:
-my condo association in Chicago that keeps me thoroughly grounded in
the mundane realities and struggles of creating and sustaining community;
-the communidad ecologicas in Mexico.

What are they expecting of you?

-creativity to establish and rehearse a big picture context;
-a realistic perspective and practical means to move forward within
that context without becoming stuck in romantic idealism.

FORM (What is the form we are trying to invent?)

-a virtual "congregation" that is intellectually invigorating,
spiritually alive, and a point of reference and accountability for my
engagements in the world (i.e., the group to which I understand
myself saying "yes and no" or "no and yes").