[Springboard] So. we are started

Katie Burke katie at ica-international.org
Sat Dec 1 23:25:07 EST 2007

What is calling you forth?

I am unwilling to spend my life producing commodities for a poverty-perpetuating market.

I want to find ways to move away from 1 monolithic voice, and open channels for other voices/truths to be heard worldwide (real participation, requires enabling from dominant groups & key players)

I want to help, not hurt others without pretending to have the ‘right’ answers.

I know that what I do has a global impact; it’s my responsibility to treat the earth and its people with respect, not just in my attitude, but in the way I live my life and work I do.

I believe that development can work without being a colonial venture. Privilege can be used to enable communities to move ahead with their own goals/visions, provide resources & open doors without the religious/political/cultural/economic agenda. I can be a part of this process by knowing my abilities & doing what is needed.

Katie Burke
Office Manager
The Institute of Cultural Affairs International
555 Rene-Levesque Boulevard West
Suite 500
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H2Z 1B1