[Springboard] Some Reflections

jlepps at pc.jaring.my jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Mon Dec 3 15:35:08 EST 2007

Dear Colleagues:

It was good to "be with you" via Skype at Junaluska. Sorry not to have
gotten these reflections in prior to the meeting, but maybe they're not too
late.

Reflections for Springboard

The question from the Springboard group was, "What's laying a claim on us
personally regarding the future?" and it's a good question that deserves
serious consideration. First answers are usually the most reliable in terms
of revealing ones inner consciousness, but I have to admit that not much
came to mind.

Of course I could name the numerous clients that are literally badgering us
to facilitate for them and to teach them facilitation skills. Something is
clearly going on that has not gone on before. Is it really getting through
that the role of facilitation is important if groups are to work together
successfully? Somehow that particular trend is welcome and something I've
worked on for many years. But these days it doesn't ring my bells. Ann is
handling that with skill and panache, and I am more than willing to help
and to participate where possible. It's fun to facilitate and to see groups
come alive. I seem at this moment, however, to be in the mode of "handing
over" this particular mission.

  Then I could name the online graduate courses I am teaching. There is
plenty to do there, both in the sense of learning and teaching. And, of
course, using the computer to do increasingly complex tasks is fun.
"Meeting" students places me in touch with a huge variety of personalities
and life-events without having to actually meet people f-2-f. Courses need
tweaking and polishing to get them "right" and students need a bit of
personal guidance from time to time that I find gratifying to
provide.  It's good work and it makes a contribution. Still, the bells
don't ring.

  Writing is still a hobby that I enjoy. The last thing I wrote that was
pretty good was a witness in June entitled "Sometimes a Hug" about
confronting (my) death. There are now 8 bound volumes of my writings in KL
that need to be sorted by topic and put into publishable form. But since
they are more like journal entries and reflections on experiences, it's
hard to see any publishable value. Going through them would be a great
memory trip, but I don't yet see their futuric thrust. My interior
glockenspiel remains undisturbed.

  There are groups that are important, worthy, and a joy to work with: IAF,
the Denver ICA team, and the KL conference committee. I've played a helpful
(minor) role in 2 of the three. But even the best of groups has dynamics
that bring out the "been there, done that" interior response. Somehow the
prospect of getting seriously involved in making things happen effectively
in a group keeps my chimes thoroughly muffled.

  I have been able in the past to discern the "mood of the times" with some
accuracy, and that's a role I don't mind continuing. But analysis is not
strategy and what to do with the insights that emerge is not something
about which I have much expertise. But here are a few insights: Authentic
spirituality comes in the midst of intensified knowing and doing. Any other
approach is off target. We've often said that the great gift of the OE was
doing theology first -- knowing the religious basis on which everything
else must be built. We first built a complex mental model and then did a
series of social demonstrations. And throughout those efforts, continual
reflection on the spirit yielded wonders.

  So maybe one task of Springboard now is clarification of current
theology. The times are not now the 60s. And the immediate issue may not be
the existential one, though that's what will eventually have to be
addressed. But suppose we're back to a time of ontology. Suppose the
insights of quantum physics and string theory have so disrupted the common
worldview that even the idea "God" is unintelligible. It's more likely that
the technology springing from physics has created the change rather than
the actual theoretical physics about which most of us remain blissfully
unaware. There's also this younger generation and their technological
expertise that embodies a new type of consciousness. One presenter at the
IAF Europe conference mentioned that his son often had nine interactive
screens open at the same time on his computer and was carrying out
interactions with each of the nine simultaneously. That's a type of
consciousness that is more foreign to my way of thinking than the mindsets
of Malaysians. It's not just chaos theory and fancy physics that's creating
the new context: it's technology that is providing a new consciousness.

  People aren't against religion; they're more like Tony Blair's press
secretary's response when asked about Tony's church habits: "We're not into
God." If you base it on church attendance, you could also say I'm "not into
God," at least in the ways of organized religion. But I am deeply committed
to the proposition that life is 2-dimensional, and at the dimension of
depth reside those realities spoken of in religious poetry. Looking at the
perversions that fundamentalists have inflicted on religion in the past
decade, it is no wonder that sensitive and responsive people often give
religion a miss. But that's to view life as one-dimensional. As Niebuhr
once said, life has two dimensions, and whenever either one is negated,
something goes seriously wrong. Maybe the starting point for our work on
theology might be "Towards a New Otherworldliness" from H. Richard
Niebuhr's 1942 article. But we mustn't simply use it to justify our own
work on the Other World. That may still serve as a springboard, but it's a
bit too subjective; we need to get at its ontological basis. Maybe there is
a way to talk about the two dimensions of life without getting into the
"supernatural." It would be momentous (literally) to produce a world view
that was scientifically credible and accounted for the dimension of depth
that religious poetry expresses. Tillich never quite accomplished that,
though he tried. Maybe we could give it a go. Then we have a chance to
address lives, i.e. to expose the existential gap between reality and
ourselves.

There seems to be a faint jingling in the distance. Anyone else hear it?

Now here are a few thoughts about bells. What rings my bells is not
necessarily the primary value to determine how I spend my time. For me the
bells indicate an emerging concern that I would like to pursue, but it is
not necessarily a priority unless it is related to practical needs. So the
identification of primary societal contradictions at a deep level may be
the task before us now that will disclose the necessary deeds.

                                     --John Epps 3 December 2007

LENS International (M) Sdn Bhd
5th Fl, Tower 1 Wisma MCIS
Jalan Barat