[Springboard] 21st Century Contradicitons

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 12:58:42 EST 2007

Hope this adds to the collection of data on this thread.  Found these in working papers towards ICAI's next conference in Tokyo -- Jim Wiegel

  The preliminary lens for the 7 th Global Conference is a set of 8 major human development challenges, which serve as starting-point focus topics:
  1) Effective Governance and Protection of Human Rights
  2) Persistence of Poverty
  3) Environmental Degradation
  4) Armed Conflict and the Arms Race
  5) Access to Healthcare and Preventing the Spread of Disease
  6) Literacy and Education
  7) Consumerism and Over-Consumption
  8) Disconnectedness and Barriers to Engagement

  Gender inequity is recognized as a cross-cutting issue exacerbating each of these 8 challenges.

  Appendix Eight Central Challenges

  1. Effective Governance and Protection of Human Rights Effective governance is a global challenge not only for societies in transition, but for all of our communities – from the highest levels of government to village and neighbourhood leadership. Central to the mandate of effective governance is protection of rights, from the right to live free of fear and persecution, to the rights to development, self-determination, and participation, notably among women, youth, Indigenous Peoples, and other traditionally underrepresented groups. Many important initiatives under the auspices of the United Nations, the World Bank, individual governments, and civil society organisations are currently underway to tackle the issue of governance and protection of the rights of all citizens. Yet often these initiatives face the criticism of being driven by outsiders bent on interfering in domestic affairs.

  How can we ensure that citizens are empowered to demand good governance and protection of their rights from their leaders? How can progress be made in this arena in developed nations, where the focus is so often on improvement of governance systems elsewhere in the world? And how can people living in societies affected by conflict, corruption, dictatorship, ethnic cleansing, and/or genocide effectively take action for change? What concrete advancements are necessary at all levels of governance – from village associations to the international stage – in order to achieve effective governance and protect basic rights worldwide?

  2. Persistence of Poverty According to many observers, the world has made important strides in reducing global poverty. Yet the statistics on global poverty remain staggering. According to the World Bank, half the world’s population — nearly three billion people — lives on less than two dollars a day. Thirty thousand children die each day due to poverty; that is 210,000 children each week, or just under 11 million children under the age of five each year. The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of the poorest 48 nations (a quarter of the world’s countries) is less than the wealth of the world’s three richest people combined.

  1 Most gains in poverty reduction are found in a few specific countries and regions; in many of the most desperate areas, high population growth, stagnating economies, and increasing gaps in wealth mean that poverty is growing daily. Will the grand schemes for rapid poverty reduction work? Is the only alternative to continue to struggle for small successes through a piecemeal approach? What combination of policy change, technology transfer, grassroots development, and skills training will change the future for the poorest of the poor? What new paradigms and approaches can be applied to the many ongoing efforts to end severe poverty and ensure that the day comes when every person has the opportunity to live a healthy and fulfilling life?

  3. Environmental Degradation In the ongoing effort to improve our standards of living, human beings have been slowly destroying the planet’s soil, water, air, and biodiversity, with disastrous human and ecological consequences. Deforestation continues at an alarming rate of nearly 13 million hectares per year. 2 If current rates of extinction continue, one-third to two-thirds of all species of plants, animals, and other organisms will be lost by the end of the 21 st century. Chemical pollutants and toxins continue to be carelessly released into the environment and threaten local ecosystems and human health. The increasing human population and increasing human consumption puts ever more pressure on ecosystems, as people search for ways to increase production. And one startling consequence of our carelessness and indifference – climate change – may prove to be the biggest challenge we have ever had to face.

  The world mobilized in Rio in 1992 to give voice to the growing problems and to create an agenda for sustainability. However, 15 years later, problems continue to mount, and solutions seem desperately far. The rhetoric is by now well developed, and most international institutions, governments, civil society organisations, and even business are now talking sustainability, and some are making important strides in that direction. But how can small success translate into the changes that are necessary? How can meaningful human development and environmental sustainability be achieved through our policies and institutions? What new economic and social models can help us solve seemingly intractable problems? What new forms of cooperation can best address both social and environmental challenges?

  4. Armed Conflict and the Arms Race Among the many enablers of violent conflict, perhaps none is so profound as the arms race. Military expenditure, including the arms trade, remains the largest category of annual spending in the world, at about $1 trillion. Ostensibly aimed at protecting national security, in many countries this expenditure surpasses the amounts spent on social development, communications, infrastructure, and health combined. 3 The arms race continues in new forms, resulting in an overall decrease in the security of nations, and of individuals. Arms sales to human rights violators, military dictatorships, and corrupt governments proceed to fuel violent conflicts in some of the poorest corners of the world.

  Concerned citizens, civil society organizations, and even governments from all corners of the world have rallied to denounce the devastating costs of conflict and the dangers of militarization. Important victories have been won, such as the international convention prohibiting land mines, but even this victory remains partial, as some countries refuse to join the global consensus. How do we support those people and organisations seeking to move from conflict to understanding and compromise? How can arms dealers (usually the world’s wealthiest nations) be held accountable for the uses of the weapons they trade? Which approaches and mechanisms can halt the sale of arms to the world’s worst human rights violators? How can balance be restored to national spending priorities? What are the practical alternatives to military intervention in conflict areas, and how can we ensure these alternatives are pursued vigorously? What new human networks can counteract the
 military-industrial complexes that perpetuate the cycle of violence?

  5. Access to Healthcare and Preventing the Spread of Disease Despite considerable advances in global healthcare, one billion people still lack access to healthcare. Millions die each year of preventable or curable infectious diseases – including, in 2005, approximately 3.5 million of AIDS, 1.75 million of Tuberculosis, and 1 million of malaria. Millions more are now living with these and other diseases. 4 In many cases, drugs are available but not accessible because of high costs. In developing and transitional countries, for example, 6.8 million people are currently in immediate need of life-saving AIDS drugs; of these, only 1.65 million are receiving the drugs. 5

  The MDGs have made fighting diseases such as HIV and AIDS a priority. The Global Fund and the President’s Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief, among many others, have given some muscle and increased hope to these efforts. Yet problems continue to plague the response, and millions continue to suffer. Economic policies and reforms imposed on many developing countries have played a major role in contracting government spending on health and other social services in these countries. And access to healthcare is not a challenge unique to the developing world; millions of marginalized people living in wealthy nations also suffer from poor health and little access to healthcare services. How can we ensure universal access to basic healthcare? How can new strategies prevent the continued spread of the most malicious diseases? What new alliances can be built and approaches implemented to realize preventative medicine and treatment for illnesses as basic, universal rights?

  6. Literacy and Education Education and literacy are the foundations of participation in society. Yet about 800 million adults are illiterate and 100 million children currently do not attend school. In developing countries, non-formal education constitutes the learning environment for the vast majority of children, youth, and adults. 6 In the developed world, deep inequalities in education systems perpetuate long-standing social injustices. In other cases, reliance on a centralized, formal, standardized educational systems produce long-term, negative social consequences.

  The international community has affirmed and reaffirmed, on numerous occasions, the right of every child to a quality education, and many thousands of people and organisations are struggling daily to make this a reality. Progress in education will be a victory in its own right, but will also yield enormous benefits in all other areas of human development. Why is progress so slow? How can the right to education be more fully realized? How can we ensure a focus on quality and not just quantity in educational outcomes? What are the standards that best assess educational processes and performance? How can emerging trends in education worldwide be harnessed to strengthen self-respect, emotional intelligence, self- awareness, teamwork, and personal achievement?

  7. Consumerism and Over-Consumption Throughout history, peoples have created and acquired consumer goods with the aim to improve quality of life. The world is now awash with consumer products, providing incredible choice and increasingly affordable prices. But too often, products are developed and sold with little or no regard for their social and environmental consequences. How societies consume, and for what purposes, drives how resources are extracted – and often produces pollution and waste. How and where products are made, how they are transported, and where they end up after they are discarded are critical questions that are only just beginning to be asked by consumers, governments, and business leaders.

  The social and psychological context in which modern consumption occurs is also too often neglected. Businesses and advertising promote the consumption of products, driving up the psychological desire to consume. The resulting materialism inevitably takes a toll on society as a whole. Issues of consumption relate to environmental degradation, poverty, hunger, personal debt, and even the rise in obesity and other ‘diseases of affluence.’ What are the root causes of excessive consumerism and who is responsible 6
  for them? How can new approaches be applied to reduce over- consumption? In the short term, which measures can be taken to diminish the pressures – social, environmental, economic – imposed by excessive consumerism?

  8. Disconnectedness and Barriers to Engagement The world has never been more interconnected by transport, trade, and telecommunications than today. Yet increasingly, individuals and communities are operating narrowly for their own respective interests; the individual rarely sees himself as responsible for the community and the community often makes little effort to represent all of its individual members. The related decline in citizen participation in civic life worldwide has been attributed to a number of factors, from the rise of television and the internet, to the digital divide in the developing world. Failures in governance at many levels, and the resulting suspicion and mistrust, clearly also play a role.

  Social disconnectedness makes it ever more challenging for communities to address their most urgent problems together, in ways that incorporate communal needs. For many, this disconnectedness constitutes a major barrier to social engagement in any form, particularly for those already on the margins of society. What underlying factors account for this fragmentation, which appears to come with social complexity? What has been the role of this trend in exacerbating other social challenges? How can new networks and systems be created to support and advance communal efforts when they arise, as well as encourage a more lasting human interdependency?

  “Poverty Facts and Stats” website: http://www.globalissues.org.
  2 Global Forest Resources Assessment 2005 “Key Findings” website: http://www.fao.org/forestry/site/32246/en/. 3 “Poverty Facts and Stats” website: http://www.globalissues.org.
  4 Ibid. 5 Figures from UNAIDS/WHO AIDS Epidemic Update: December 2006. Geneva: Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), 2006.
  “Poverty Facts and Stats” website: http://www.globalissues.org.

John Cock <jpc2025 at triad.rr.com> wrote:      I do remember those words of the song, kind of. Do we have that recorded somewhere?

  Your Life Process Triangle sounds good; maybe I've seen it. Would like to look at it and let you talk me through it. Then we've got to talk about how Wilber and others and we talk about "spirit, mystery, etc." being at the heart of it all -- and how we represent that in our triangles, else we've left out the most important dynamic within the dynamics. We can't just do that talk as insiders when it's at the heart of all contradictions. Maybe that's included in yours, not really in Wilber's "I-we-it" diagrams -- he includes it in his books, etc.

  John