[Springboard] Critical Contradictions

George Holcombe geowanda at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 12 02:33:49 EST 2007

I would add to those contradictions the fragility of our health
systems.  In Austin, there are attempts underway to have systems in
place at the neighborhood level in the case of a Flu pandemic, which
could sink the present system overnight and we wouldn't be able to
depend on our hospitals, physicians or mortuaries .  We've been pretty
good cutting back on known infectious diseases, but with global
warming, diseases that were once confined to certain zones are now
coming North, along with insects, such as the pine beetle that are
taking out forests in Colorado and Alaska.  Peek Oil is also in play,
actually for the past 5 years at least, in which supply is outrun by
demand.  In many countries, I'm told, fuel prices have doubled and in
China there are fuel shortages for trucking.

Jean Watts' husband Bob, could probably provide us with a most up-to-

George Holcombe
14900 Yellowleaf Tr.
Austin, TX 78728
Home: 512/252-2756