[Springboard] Prayer of Gratitude

W. J. synergi at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 14:28:20 EDT 2007

I think our genius was in not limiting ourselves to doing awakenment within the institutional residue of historical Christianity.

  I got a whole new take on Niebuhr in the context of Doug Rossinow's book about the Christian existentialist [CF&LC] influence on the secular civil rights movement. George and I were involved with the Student Interracial Ministry in the 1960's. And Martin Luther King Jr. was calling for the moral conscience of America to protest racial discrimination and the war in Viet Nam. But in every case I can think of, these manifestations of TWC were being called out of historical structures and forged alliances with people of every background imaginable.

  Niebuhr was writing within a context of trying to transpose theological jargon ("God-in-Christ and Christ-in-God") into a description of responsiveness through new sociological forms (such as the O:E, not to mention SDS, SNCC, SIM, and SCLC). I'm not sure he quite got the universality of "church" beyond the institutional and doctrinal residue of religious belief systems.

  Marshall

"M. George Walters" <m.george.walters at verizon.net> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                It is probably like what we did in India, Kenya, and elsewhere in creating the band of 24 – we looked for the sensitive and responsive ones in Nava Gram Prayas in India, for instance.

  Holcombe’s paper is probably a very good take off point. Where you find anyone concerned with innocent human suffering, denial of participation, and downright oppression, is good. Wanda Holcombe, Jean Watts and Terry Bergdahl are working with conflict resolution among Muslim, Christian and Jewish factions in the Middle East and old Eastern Block countries right now and probably could talk to us about how they find and identify good people to work with. The Patterson’s work in Somalia and Kenya should be another source of insight.

  Vinode and Kamale Parekh and Kevin Balm have gone deep into the Indian culture and John and Ann Epps, the Malaysian culture and will also have insights about “those who care” who are their strong colleagues. Others in China, Japan, etc. who have gone into those cultures rooted in Buddhism, Shintoism, etc. should also speak. Of course Jack’s work has uncovered those who care for decades now.

  The local church in any country (synagogue, mosque, congregations, etc) is still a place to look.

    George

  4240 Sandy Shores Dr
  Lutz, FL 33558
  USA