[Springboard] {Spam?} RE: Caring for TWC

M. George Walters m.george.walters at verizon.net
Tue Oct 9 16:46:03 EDT 2007

Defining primary targets makes sense in another respect - it will inform how
we shape the tools we will use for formation. Let me stick with thinking,
organization and action for a minute.

Thinking - When the target was primarily the local church prior to our
decision to make an end-run on that stogy and slow-to-respond institution,
using Bultmann, Bonheoffer, Tillich, Niebuhr, et al was key. But when it
becomes this "civil, human, democratic, non-violent, non-ideological,
grassroots, diverse, global, classless, centerless, leaderless (in the sense
of a central leader) human immune response system" al the courses Jack
points out that we didn't focus on become more important plus some we have
not thought of yet.

Organization - Getting a handle on the guild dynamic as the principal form
of organization that transcends Hawken's 130,000 organization profiles will
be crucial. The speech Cock sent identifies the army -

Action - While the central themes are social justice, environment,
indigenous culture, Hawken's definition of this movement is enlightening -
Carol Walter's watched this with me as she flew through the room a minute
ago and said "Ah yes, the invisible league". My immediate thought was "Oh
God" the Resurgence we were waiting for is here. However as we all know,
action is about objective, strategy. It goes beyond any of our causes to
question of what earth do we want to build, and now what planetary system.

It is also a mater of sectors and sub-sectors as Jack points out, and pilot
guilds like the Scotts are engaged in may help clarify that. Since I live
day-in and day-out in the tension between peace-makers and war-mongers the
issue of action for me has a critical "in time" and "effective" character
that means the "invisible must become visible" and become a force that
identifies and hits the right targets - i.e. back to thinking, and
organization. Indirection is only valuable if you know what direction your
indirection is trying to influence. To survive I must use indirection, but I
must also always be deciding why.

Sometimes directness becomes necessary. I had an argument with a colleague
the other day who said using solar and wind energy was not an option yet
because it costs too much and the ROI was too long-term. I said, the issue
is not "saving money" it is saving life - saving this planet. So as a people
who waste billions every year on making ourselves happy and comfortable,
lets spend some of that on living longer and healthier. After a moment of
dead silence he said, "you are right". But directness is also dangerous as
Jesus, Gandhi, and MLK will tell you.

I suppose some folks like Cock have met with Hawken, but at some point we
should let him know what we are up to.

George

4240 Sandy Shores Dr

Lutz, FL 33558