[Springboard] Junaluska Gathering

R Williams rcwmbw at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 15:13:15 EDT 2007

George, Jack,

The revolutions we saw 30 years ago carried the identity of those fomenting the revolution--women, youth, ethnic minorities, etc., usually acting on their own behalf with the assistance of others who were sympathetic.  Many of today's revolutions appear to be more identified by the issues they seek to address, issues in which everyone has something at stake either directly or indirectly--the environmental stewardship revolution, the education revolution, the social justice revolution, the poverty eradication revolution, etc.  Thirty years ago there was very little sense that the revolutions were connected.  Today the interrelatedness is more obvious.  For example, since Katrina it has become clear that racism and poverty grow from the same seed.  One task for Springboard, after today's revolutions have been identified, may be to try to find the nexus point where they all come together.

As I think I've said before, in the appendix of Paul Hawken's book he has 100+ pages where he identifies hundreds if not thousands of the mini-movements he refers to in the body of the book.  He then groups them all into 40 (what we would call) gestalt categories, each of which has many sub-categories.  Most are named by issue, but some by the people effected.  To my mind, many of these 40 categories could be a guild.  It would be interesting at Junaluska for you to do an exercise where you put them all up into some kind of network configuration and began to align them with one another by how you sense them to be connected and interrelated and impacting upon each other.  This could then give guidance to things like curriculum building and other efforts.

Randy