[Springboard] Preparation for next Springboard

Bill Salmon wsalmon at cox.net
Tue Apr 8 18:59:41 EDT 2008

Two stories: The TRAG and the Chicken Coop store
The TRAG:
    One story of economic development is the gift of the TRAG given by the United Methodist Men in the states to missionary projects around the world.
    Someday I'll tell the story of getting this little farm implement through Korean customs on JeJu. It was as difficult as getting bull semen on the island. (No bull!)
    The TRAG was a small tricycle-like machine that could be useful in plowing around the fruit trees that belonged to "the village." We decided to use it to plow a vegeatable garden spot for the demonstration. Invitations to the men of the village were sent.
    On the day of demonstration, we talked about the TRAG and its maintanence. And then someone hopped on to plow. The machine went round and round, with little success.
    Finally, one of the villagers came to us and said, "Tomorrow I bring my bullock and do it right." That was the end of the day's demo.
    After we left JeJu, the village finally embraced the TRAG and used it for its intended purpose.
    Those were the days my friend. Economic expertise? Hell, not much, but we sure fell in love with our Korean counterparts and the rural environment.

The Chicken Coop Store:
    At the Bus Stop at the top of the hill in Kwang Yung Il, an old chicken coop was an unsightly and discouraging building; just a wind break while waiting for the bus.
    The Village Plan was to turn the coop into the Village Store so that people would not bus to JeJu City to shop every day.
    One volunteer was from the states whose job was buying and selling major industries, he handled billion dollar transactions. He voluteered to turn the chicken coop into the store.
    With the help of some village women, they cleaned out the building, painted it, built shelves, and prepared for business. He wait to the City and bought a cash register, taught the women how to use it, then the crew went to town and bought groceries and made arrangements for deliveries.
    They had a "Grand Opening," and the place did a land office business. As far as I know it is still going.
    Before I left the island, the ICA staff received a letter from our volunteer asking after "his store." He confessed that the Kwan Yung Il store meant more to him than any other business transaction he ever completed.
    I wonder why we called our work, "Developing the Human Factors in Human Development?"

    Economist Salmon?