[Springboard] A call for Advice

jeanwatts at cox.net jeanwatts at cox.net
Thu Apr 24 17:06:04 EDT 2008

Dear Jim,
I'm way behind in reading and responding to email, so this is probably too late to be helpful.  But realative to
> All are working hard, though especially the naming is very disturbing and
> tense as they practice.  I believe this has to do both with the culture and
> also with the pressure and stress related to the Israeli - Palestinian
> conflict.

I've discovered that this part of our process goes so much easier if prior to reaching the naming step in the process you ask a question that requires the use of the participants imagination.  Pointing to a particular cluster  indicating that these cards all have to do with _______tag name_____, What does this practically look like? Or an imaginal question like, is it more like walking or running? After a few answers then read the cards and ask for what would hold the wisdom within them.
It is the creation of a practical or concrete picture that the word are pointing to that is important.  It seems to open the way for more creative thinking (rather than so called logical thinking.)  And this is more important than ever when the subject matter is linked to emotional points of view.  I don't really believe it is cultural.

When the imaginal question falls flat, something that makes the group laugh sometimes works when done just before you begin the naming process.

Jean