[Springboard] Remembering David

n.trask at mchsi.com n.trask at mchsi.com
Fri Aug 8 13:16:44 EDT 2008

Dear David and Pat -
I am thinking about you every day.  While knowing that you are proceeding on
your own journey, I am on a path westward to Wyoming for a little vacation from
my usual library duties.  I'm glad John got to stop by and have a visit with
you on his way to Iowa to see Austin and Ashleigh.  He mentioned that you
remembered my agreement to edit your book, and I would certainly love to do
that, and hope you will send me the manuscript.

I have such fond memories of working with you, David, as you always represented
to me the place where the buck stopped, in Harry Truman terms.  You were there,
you were professional, and you were full of care for the comprehensive.  I
recently dug out a file box that contained my journal from Maharashtra Month in
1978.  That was where I met you & took note of your great presence.

One of your signal contributions, in addition to so many others, was the "open
process" devised on the fly at the IERD.  We had to be responsive to the
participants, and as a result I think you stayed up every night working with
those who cared on the processes for the coming day.  It was one of the best
times of my life.

I just came across a wonderful book from Edward Abbey called "Beyond the
Wall."  And he says in his preface about the American West, something that
applies to you and to your life-work, providing spirit depth in the
world:  "What we need now are heroes.  And heroines.  About a million of them.
One brave deed is worth a thousand books.  Sentiment without action is the ruin
of the soul."

You have stood tall as one of those great heroes for our time, one whose
sentiment was thrust into history by action.  With the rest of our great group,
I sing along - Journey On, Journey On ...
Love,
Nancy Trask