[Springboard] FW: [earthrise] witness

Bill Bailey bailey03132 at charter.net
Sun Jul 20 09:02:33 EDT 2008

Bill Bailey

-----Original Message-----
From: webbpat1 at cox.net [mailto:webbpat1 at cox.net]
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 11:38 AM
To: Bill Bailey
Subject: Re: [earthrise] witness

Dear Bill & Marianna:

Lovely to hear from you both and to recieve your witness Bill.  Life sounds
rich and fun in Asheville.  We ask your prayers for David.  He has been
diagnosed with colon and liver cancer and has recently had a heart attack.
All the disease very fast moving and only discovered 2 weeks ago.   We are
blessed by a strong Sangha, great Hospice workers here at the house, and
wonderful support from family and friends.

Dave sleeps most of the time and, already a man of few words, has fewer
words lately.  His words are loving ones, though, and deep appreciation for
the network of colleagues who are not here to visit with him in person.   He
would appreciate knowing you are thinking of him.   Can you let some
colleagues know in whatever email capability you have?

I would ask that people send old fashioned snail mail cards because David
likes to hold them.   Our address is 2505 Kathy Court, Oklahoma City, OK
73120.

Blessings,

Pat Webb-McCleskey
(405) 209-7117

---- Bill Bailey <bailey03132 at charter.net> wrote:

> I don't know if I'm early, late or both, but here goes:
>

> Two recent events have gifted me with a new awareness of my "life map".
>

> First:  Marianna and I have recently been elected as the co presidents of
> the Coalition of Asheville Neighborhoods (CAN). CAN is a not-for profit
> service organization for the past 25 years and is now set to enter into
the
> future which will requires a new understanding of how to organize and
serve
> local neighborhoods, work effectively with city and county government, and
> interface with changes in demographics occasioned by rapid development and
> population growth.
>

> The second event, since Marianna and I were both born in Mt. Airy, NC,
> occurred when she ask me a simple question; "who are our bone people (The
> question "who are our bone people" refers to a couples relationships, and
it
> is based on the premise that everyone has a Community of relationship they
> identify with. It is within that community of relationships that a person
> creates their own life meaning and purpose)
>

> For the past several days both CAN'S future and Marianna's question about
> the past have been at the top of our knowing, doing, and being list of
> corporate reflections and continuing dialogue.
>

> Who are our bone people? What do we carry into the future? This has been
the
> question of our dialogue. Is it our birth place i.e. Mt. Airy, NC? The two
> of us grew up during the 1930 & 40's in that wonderful town now known as
> Mayberry (hometown of Andy Griffin). We have visited Mt. Airy several
times
> over the past few years. It is no longer the small southern town we
> remember. Today it is saturated with the memory of Andy and the money that
> tourism brings, but we discovered two pieces of our past from Mt. Airy
that
> are still with us. (1) The Blue Ridge Mountains of the southern
Appalachians
> and (2) the strong community ties and quality of life found in our North
> Main street neighborhood where we grew up.
>

> Also, our "bone people" are our family which consists of Marianna and I,
> plus three wonderful children (Tom, Lynn, & Nan) and four grandchildren.
> Yes, in all aspects they are both our past and future.
>

> Since arriving in Ashville, NC, eleven years ago we have become energized
by
> our participation in the Jubilee Community (www. jubilecommunity.org). We
> consider Jubilee to be an experiment on behalf of the future as to what a
> spiritual community looks like and how it operated. Yes, at Jubilee's "the
> celebration of life" we are with our bone people as we continue the spirit
> movement.
>

> Our order colleagues continue to be our "bone people" in two significant
> ways. One is the continuing network of our dialogue via the World Wide Web
> and other occasions when we get together. The second is tied to the first,
> the neighborhood. Upon refection Marianna and I have been involved with
> Neighborhood life and human development beginning in Mt Airy, followed by
> 5th City, Central City 5 in Oklahoma City, the Suntungan HDP in the
> Philippians, the Majuro HDP in the Marshall Islands, Salani HDP in Western
> Samoa, and Havelock North in New Zealand, Westwood Co-housing and the
> Viewpoint cluster in Asheville NC, and now co-presidents of the Coalition
of
> Asheville Neighborhoods.
>

> So put the parts together. The Blue Ridge Mountains of the southern
> Appalachians, the strong community ties and quality of life found in our
Mt.