[Springboard] Dialogue on the Future

Larry Philbrook icalarry at ms69.hinet.net
Fri May 30 19:38:04 EDT 2008

Dear David

I did read it and have several interpretations which are different from his.  This ended up a lot longer than I planned but I will send it anyway.

With respect, Larry

1) The war in Iraq
When the radicals are in charge, Islam attacks Western civilization  I found this comment ironic since the reason we attacked Iraq was the radicals were in charge in the US.  I agree Iraq Iran and Afghanistan are critical symbols to the reality of our world. I have not got an insight into a way to move that would shift the destructive pattern we are in though I do remember a conversation with Jean Watts several years ago about spiral dynamics and memes of consciousness - she felt this might give a hint as to a productive way to approach the situation.  I see very little sign of "winning" and a lot that we are creating more and more hatred. The Bush push for democracy in which every election highlights that the will of the people is with radical communities who have learned to serve the needs of the people and not with "pro west" organizations that appear to be primarily self-serving.  At the same time in my work in Bangladesh I have experienced the pain of young women trying to be both Muslims and creative thinkers. What is the "both and" option?  We do not need to be naive but we also need to figure out how to move forward in a way that builds a new society not destroys everyone.

2) The emergence of China
The business model of cheaper in China is coming to an end with the resource shortage driving up costs and inflation of prices and expectations within China.  His point about the protests is true but their is also a strong sense of nationalism how will these two contrasting trends will play out I don't know.

The recent earthquake highlighted 2 things, many of the buildings that fell were schools and with the one child policy this makes for a much bigger tragedy, add to that they died because of government corruption in building schools and it is going to bring even more pressure on the government to change and provide more local accountability.

Within 10 years the first generation of the "one child" will begin assuming responsibility for their parents in retirement - for the wealthy this will be an issue but for the middle class and the poor this will be crippling and demand dramatic structural changes. During the winter when many of the workers were stranded because of snow they decided not to go back to work but to develop businesses at home - this change a difficult labor shortage to a chronic one.

Historically China response has been to have warlords rise and society fall apart while pretending to be one great nation.

>From another perspective I have been working in China several times a year for the past 8 years and have found that almost every person is trying to learn and apply as much as they can - to adapt and integrate at every moment.  I have also seen just below the surface is a very strong survival urge - a sense that this could all go away tomorrow - which often leads to actions that can be very destructive in the short term. What are the implications on the changes coming there I do not know.

3) Shifting Demographics
I think his images here are the ones I have the most difficulty with because he assumes the way we are operating our current society is the way life is and must continue - whereas I believe we are in a time of social transformation and figuring our what the new form of society is. Retirement and being taken care of is a concept that has been true for how long?  Retirement historically meant "about to die," for most societies the assumption has always been you worked until you could not and then your kids or grandkids cared for you in the period until death.  "Post-Modern" society has tried to change that image but perhaps we were a bit hasty.

In my experience Japan is not shutting down but it is realizing the future is not going to be like the past and many people are trying hard to avoid that realization.  Many others are exploring from their own cultural perspective how to develop and live differently and in many cases more authentically.  The question of how to reform society based on the new reality is very strong and will be represented strongly in the conference we have coming up because the old answers do not work and the old questions do not seem to help much either.  Perhaps Japan and other countries in Asia have an edge to helping the US and Europe ask this question of a different way.  In Taiwan because of the influx of soldiers after World War 2 it grayed earlier than it should have.  Now those soldiers are mostly dead and the dropping birthrate etc. is kicking in but much of the elders structure is already created partly by Taiwanese Culture and family practice and partly by the huge bubble of people just about the same age that arrived on the island and forced the system to serve them.

We need to develop another way rather than import people to pretend they are the children we are no longer having, especially since many of the new arrivals are "infected" by the same development process if they have access to education and they too have fewer children in successive generations and refuse to left out of society.  So it is merely delaying by a generation or two the need to develop a new operating .  I would ask his question of how does society deal with this demographic shift in another way - are we dying out or living differently?

4) Restructuring American (and world) business)
In its own way this is the most difficult trend of all because it is so easy for people to fall through the cracks and it gets blamed on economic reality - no benefits etc.  His assumptions of the way the system will benefit everyone does not seem to reflect reality - however I do think his image of what is coming is relatively accurate - so how do we respond on an individual, community and social basis when the family, the government and our company no longer represents a consistent social framework?  We began working with Scott Peck's work on community building and dialogue about 15 years ago and with a concept call Communities of Practice,  The Springboard dialogue is such a community - the means a group of people who choose to be together to explore and learn - a family by choice rather than by biology.  While I do not believe the family is dead I do believe that families too are becoming Communities of choice.

This trend has two facets that concern me deeply:
Organizational irresponsibility -  What Peter Senge called "tragedy of the commons" which means because it belongs to no one it is used until destroyed unless you can bring the destruction to awareness and develop other options.  With the fragmentation of organizations the destruction, abuse and irresponsibility of corporations becomes even more difficult to monitor and impact.

Second is the disenfranchisement of individuals - the 3rd and 4th arena will affect these dramatically - what are the options for community in our society of the future?