[Springboard] NO LIMITS TO POWER STUDY: #1 The introduction

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 14:03:07 EST 2008

Jim here.  para 17 caught my eye this morning.

17.        Freedom is the altar at which Americans worship, whatever their nominal religious persuasion. "No one sings odes to liberty as the final end of life with greater fervor than Americans," the theologian Reinhold Niebuhr once observed. Yet even as they celebrate freedom, Americans exempt the object of their veneration from critical examination. In our public discourse, freedom is not so much a word or even a value as an incantation, its very mention enough to stifle doubt and terminate all debate.

What is an authentic definition of freedom?  the capacity to choose or decide?  Seems that voices like Niebuhr's have been replaced by advertising, not so much prophetic, but proclaiming the "freedom" that comes from buying a house, buying a car, buying a bud . .

Jim Wiegel

I know nothing grander, better exercise, better digestion, more positive proof of the past, the triumphant result of faith in human kind, than a well-contested American natonal election. Walt Whitman

401 North Beverly Way
Tolleson, Arizona 85353-2401