[Springboard] Mechanics of the LIMITS TO POWER STUDY

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 22:02:30 EST 2008

PARTICIPANTS I KNOW OF:  Karen Bueno, David Dunn, Jack Gilles, Gordon Harper, Joan Knutson, Paula Philbrook, Ellen Rebstock, Darrell Walker, David Walters, George Walters, Richard West, Jim Wiegel, Randy Williams, Priscilla Wilson, David Zahrt,

LEADING THE STUDY

I am willing to facilitate the first week.  You have to get access to the book.  Starting on Sunday evening, November 9, I will be sending out questions and comments and will be available at least once a day to respond, provoke, keep the conversation going.

Hopefully, one of you will step up to that role in each succeeding week.

For the most part, this study is going to take place as a series of emails on the Springboard Listserv, with a parallel conversation going on using a web based discussion group.  When you respond, RESPOND TO ALL, that way everyone can "hear".  if you just send your response to an individual, it's like whispering in class . . .

WEDNESDAY CALLS
I will also host a conference call on Wednesday, November 12.  I am thinking around 6 pm local time here in Phoenix , for 1 hour.  The call number is                  269-320-8400          .and the Participant Access Code is 881373#

On the call, ideally one person would take each of the sections we are looking at and give an overview and leading questions (what does it SAY?  what does it MEAN? where have you EXPERIENCED this? what are IMPLICATIONS or applications?).  I can try to record it so others can listen in (with lots of luck)

Maybe Gordon or George or someone can work out how we can also chat and go to a wiki or something to see what we are doing. . .

SCHEDULE

First week 11/10 ff Introduction:  War Without Exits and 1.  The Crisis of Profligacy

Second Week 11/17 ff 2.  The Political Crisis

Third Week 11/24 ff 3.  The Military Crisis

Fourth Week 12/1  Conclusion:  The Limits of Power

NEW WAYS TO PLAY / WEB BASED DISCUSSION OPTION
Remember how exciting it was, the first time you charted a paper with a group, or did a cooperative study and all, how you wanted to LEARN THIS NEW METHOD?

Well here is another opportunity.  In addition to these emails on the springboard list serve, Gordon Harper has set up a discussion group on the Springboardventure Online site courtesy of David Dunn (see below), first a word from Gordon, then a link to follow.

OK, Gang --

As requested, the Limits of Power Discussion group is set up on our Springboard site.  I've not used this before, so it's all new to all of us.  As my brief note introducing the discussion group says, my understanding is that anyone who's signed on to Springboard can easily join this discussion--let's see how it works.  David did all the work on creating the site, so if we run into questions, he's probably the go to person.

And just in case any of you have forgotten how to get to the site, it is springboardventure.ning.com.  Then go to Groups to find the Limits of Power Discussion.

Jim, as discussion leader, you may want to set a context for this.  Jack, did the announcement mentioned in Jim's note below go out to the listserv?

Fire when ready, Gridley --

Gordon

Welcome to the Group "The Limits of Power Discussion" on
Springboardventure Online

To view this group visit:
http://springboardventure.ning.com/group/thelimitsofpowerdiscussion

Springboardventure Online

--
To control which emails you receive on Springboardventure Online, go to:
http://springboardventure.ning.com/profiles/profile/emailSettings

Jim Wiegel

I know nothing grander, better exercise, better digestion, more positive proof of the past, the triumphant result of faith in human kind, than a well-contested American national election. Walt Whitman

401 North Beverly Way
Tolleson, Arizona 85353-2401