[Springboard] LIMITS TO POWER STUDY -- Prep for the SECOND phone call

George Holcombe geowanda at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 19 00:26:43 EST 2008

Sorry, but I'm working during the call time.  To add my other 2¢, on
the automobiles and other choices going green, living simply, etc.  I
would imagine that if we are going to move to a green culture and cut
back on all our stuff, it will still cost us.  Autos that get 33 mpg
will be like Model T's and the Prius (I have one, I can get between
48-52 mpg) it will not be much better, when you have plug-ins getting
100+ mpg (and they already exist), and other alternative fuels (I'm
told some of the diesels in Europe already average 60 mpg).  The same
will be true with electronic equipment, which will not use toxic
materials and buildings and cities on new energy grids.  We already
have solar and wind powered houses in Austin, even in villages in
Africa.  I think Bacevich is right about the end of American
Excetionalism, and it is leading to a whole new world.  The hardest
part is going to be for Americans to get over it and get with it.

George Holcombe
14900 Yellowleaf Tr.
Austin, TX 78728
Home: 512/252-2756