[Springboard] The British take on the VP debate

W. J. synergi at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 8 19:28:47 EDT 2008

I'm still trying to digest the enormity of the Republican meltdown. Especially since Republican deregulation has taken down our global financial system with it.

Either McCain is so incredibly stuck in some kind of Reaganism that he's totally blind to global reality, or he's so totally cynical that he has knowingly bowed to Karl Rove and chosen Sarah Palin to literally take his candidacy and his party down in flames. The anti-Palin reaction among undecided and independent voters is a major negative, and one of many major negatives, for the entire ticket. What could he be thinking? And if he's NOT thinking, what does that say about his ability to rise above Palin's level of critical analysis of global/national trends?

Marshall

And now for some refreshing Brit wisdom:

 The British take on the VP debate

Apparently the Brits don't have their heads in the sand!

  Flirting her way to victory

Sarah Palin's farcical debate performance lowered the standards for both
female candidates and US political discourse

The Guardian (London)  Friday October 03 2008 18:30 BST
 At  least   three  times  last  night,  Sarah  Palin,  the  adorable,
preposterous  vice-presidential candidate, winked at the audience. Had a
male  candidate  with  a similar reputation for attractive vapidity made
such  a  brazen attempt to flirt his way into the good graces of the
voting  public,  it  would  have universally noted, discussed and mocked.
Palin,  however, has single-handedly so lowered the standards both for
female candidates and American political discourse that, with her
newfound  ability to speak in more-or-less full sentences, she is now
deemed to have performed acceptably last night. By   any   normal
standard,  including  the  ones  applied  to  male presidential
candidates  of  either party, she did not. Early on, she made  the
astonishing  announcement  that  she  had  no intentions of actually
answering  the  queries  put  to  her. "I may not answer the questions
that either the moderator or you want to hear, but I'm going to  talk
straight  to  the American people and let them know my track record also,"
she said.

And so she preceded, with an almost surreal disregard for the subjects she
was  supposed to be discussing, to unleash fusillades of scripted attack
lines,  platitudes,  lies, gibberish and grating references to her own
pseudo-folksy authenticity.
It  was  an  appalling  display.  The  only  reason  it was not widely
described  as such is that too many American pundits don't even try to
judge  the  truth,  wisdom or reasonableness of the political rhetoric
they  are  paid to pronounce upon. Instead, they imagine themselves as
interpreters  of  a mythical mass of "average Americans" who they both
venerate and despise.
In  pronouncing  upon a debate, they don't try and determine whether a
candidate's responses correspond to existing reality, or whether he or she
is  capable of talking about subjects such as the deregulation of the
financial markets or the devolution of the war in Afghanistan. The
criteria  are  far  more  vaporous. In this case, it was whether Palin
could  avoid  utterly  humiliating herself for 90 minutes, and whether
urbane  commentators  would believe that she had connected to a public
that  they  see  as ignorant and sentimental. For the Alaska governor,
mission accomplished.

There  is  indeed  something  mesmerising  about Palin, with her manic
beaming  and  fulsome  confidence  in  her own charm. The force of her
personality managed to slightly obscure the insulting emptiness of her
answers   last  night.  It's  worth  reading  the  transcript  of  the
encounter,  where it becomes clearer how bizarre much of what she said
was. Here, for example, is how she responded to Biden's comments about how
the   middle  class  has  been  short-changed  during  the  Bush
administration, and how McCain will continue Bush's policies:

     Say  it ain't so, Joe, there you go again pointing backwards again.
     You   preferenced   [sic]   your   whole   comment  with  the  Bush
     administration. Now doggone it, let's look ahead and tell Americans
     what  we  have  to plan to do for them in the future. You mentioned
     education,  and  I'm  glad  you  did.  I  know  education  you  are
     passionate  about  with your wife being a teacher for 30 years, and
     god  bless her. Her reward is in heaven, right? ... My brother, who
     I  think  is  the  best  schoolteacher  in  the  year, and here's a
     shout-out  to  all  those  third  graders at Gladys Wood Elementary
     School, you get extra credit for watching the debate.

Evidently,   Palin's  pre-debate  handlers  judged  her  incapable  of
speaking  on a fairly wide range of subjects, and so instructed to her to
simply  disregard  questions that did not invite memorised talking points
or cutesy filibustering. They probably told her to play up her spunky
average-ness,  which  she  did  to  the  point of shtick - and dishonesty.
Asked  what  her achilles heel is - a question she either didn't
understand  or  chose to ignore - she started in on how McCain chose  her
because  of  her  "connection to the heartland of America. Being  a  mom,
one  very  concerned  about  a son in the war, about a special  needs
child,  about  kids heading off to college, how are we going to pay those
tuition bills?"

None  of  Palin's  children,  it  should  be  noted, is heading off to
college.  Her  son is on the way to Iraq, and her pregnant 17-year-old
daughter  is  engaged  to  be  married  to  a  high-school dropout and
self-described  "fuckin'  redneck".  Palin  is  a woman who can't even
tell  the truth about the most quotidian and public details of her own
life,  never  mind  about  matters of major public import. In her only
vice-presidential debate, she was shallow, mendacious and phoney. What
kind  of maverick, after all, keeps harping on what a maverick she is?
That  her performance was considered anything but a farce doesn't show how
high Palin has risen, but how low we all have sunk.