[Springboard] we remember Lela / Lela remembers us

W. J. synergi at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 3 02:31:56 CST 2009

After a very full day of activities and remembrances of the many people we have lost on World AIDS Day this year, I was stunned but not surprised to hear of the passing of our dear colleague Lela Mosley.

Exactly two years ago I had just wrapped up production on the ICAI's two new DVD's before traveling to Lake Junaluska for Springboard.

Preparing the DVD's involved ongoing consultation with Lela (and many others) over several months, so I had the opportunity to connect with her again, despite her continuing readmissions to the hospital, difficulties in breathing, and some difficulties in conversing.

But I can tell you that even with her oxygen tubes and struggling to breathe, the Lela we knew and loved was just as strong and determined a colleague as ever. She was very interested in any news I could offer her of specific people, and making phone calls whenever she could find the strength. She had a great memory for details, and remembered each of us that she knew and had worked with both in 5th City and during her many global visits. Those of you who were privileged to know her personally should be aware of how much she valued you individually and all of us as a group.

Lela and I and others were doing our best to compile two 'honor roll' lists of names for the DVD's -- one of 5th citizens who were still alive (as far as we knew) -- and the other of those who had died. It was almost comic as we would go down the list! "Is So-and-so dead yet?" "Nope, she's still kicking!" Or "We don't know, but we think so." Et cetera.

Well now, my friends, Lela has finally left us and joined that other honor roll of those who gave their whole lives in 5th City. I recall that Joe Mathews once said that he'd decided that when he got to heaven's gate, he'd not to go in, but wait there for all of The Blue to arrive, and then we'd all march in together.

So now we can imagine that he's got Lela to talk with while they wait for all of us.

Grace and Peace to you all,

Marshall Jones