[Springboard] Ron Griffith Update

Beret Griffith beretgriffith at charter.net
Tue Feb 10 23:43:14 EST 2009

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

A lot has happened in the past few weeks. Mid-January Ron was
hospitalized at Rochester Methodist Hospital at Mayo to treat a
severe reaction to chemotherapy. We returned home on Friday January
23rd with encouragement to contact hospice.

The next week we had an appointment with Ron's oncologist at Mayo.
Basically chemotherapy is toxic to Ron's body and doing more harm
than good. He recommended stopping treatments, both infusion and
pills. There is the option of entering a Phase 1 drug trial - the
first trials after testing on animals. Phase 1 trials are not
designed for effectiveness of a drug but to determine safety and
tolerability, have the most potential risk and the least likelihood
of benefit, adding only a couple of weeks to life.  Ron's quality of
life will be best without any further treatment and hospice care will
be the most helpful in extending the length and quality of his life.
At the end of the visit with his doctor, Ron asked that since he is
no longer on chemotherapy and his liver isn't in as much danger, if
he could have a martini. The doc had a good laugh and said "yes". So
we had martinis that night and Ron had his first solid food in a
while, a well chewed olive...

Ron's spirits, mind and sense of humor are all in good shape. He is
on a liquid diet because of obstructions in the intestinal tract
caused by both the cancer and chemotherapy. The Hospice crew is great
and are helpful with nutritional information, general encouragement
and now pain management. Last week Ron began experiencing significant
pain, is receiving pain medication as needed and remains comfortable.
We are out and about some, taking in local concerts when possible and
are both enjoying visits from friends and family. Of course Ron loves
talking with people and a few folks stop by every day to talk.

Next week Ron will be speaking with members of Junto, a group of men
in town who meet regularly for an evening of conversation about
education, philosophy, spirituality, practical application,
invention, wisdom-sharing, poetry, music, and politics. The
invitation says, "Imagine that this older brother is struggling
with  terminal cancer, and that he has the courage, insight, humor
and energy to share his life's story, reflections, and emotions with
you while he lives" - it will be a great evening. Ron plans to begin
his story with the Prologue to Saviors of God. The invitation came
via our former UMC pastor, an Academy grad, now the District
Superintendent and another man who was in the Faith Journey Retreat
that John and Lynda Cock offered through our church in the spring of 2007.

We are treasuring our time together and are being well cared for by
kids, grandchildren, extended family, friends, the food co-op
community, the Northfield community and...of course our foundational
community - all of you. We are grateful for your presence, for the
notes, poems, prayers, books, music, stories, and good wishes many of
you have sent our way.

Grace and Peace,
Beret & Ron