[Springboard] WEDNESDAY STUDY: Circle the Wagons. Georgianna McBurney Feb 25. 6 pm MST

Richard West rwestica at ms69.hinet.net
Fri Feb 27 02:39:59 EST 2009

Dear Jim,

Only Georgiana, Bob Griffin and I were on, a great conversation about
what we think is happening in the world and just enjoying
reflecting...  My greatest insight had to do with communities caring
for each other, from families, to the poor, to small towns...  And I
am thinking more seriously about the various communities.  Also, I
have recently read that the community you are part of has more to do
with happiness than many other factors.  And I'm remembering about
the book (was it) "Bowling Alone."  Then I found myself most grateful
for the communities, like the Order, but also local communities and
communities of practice I have been part of during the last 40 years.

We tried to imagine what caring communities might look like in the
future.  And of course, our conversation went to missional
communities.  Georgiana talked about how Malibu people have been
taking on projects, uniting in defense of their shoreline, but also
in getting their river cleaned up so their beaches would still be
clean and attractive.  She seems quite content there and I'm sure is
a strong voice in municipal affairs.

I have talked to a few people and have 4 or 5 books up for study,
feel we need feedback about them to see (if people do want to
continue the studies) which are most needed now in order for us to be
able to take a significant part in the transformation.  They are

* Seven Day Weekend by Ricardo Semler, a wonder description of a
successful Open Space organization in Sao Paulo, Brazil

* Wave Rider, Harrison Owen's new book on Open Space, or rather,
self-organization as high performance leadership

* The Three Marriages by David Whyte- Reimaging Work, Self and
Relationship (suggested by Jack Gilles)

* Agenda for a new Economy, From Phantom Wealth to Real Wealth, by
David C Korten

* Community, The Structure of Belonging by Peter Block

I'm fine with any of them, have read the first one, the earlier draft
of Wave Rider, sense now that the Community book might be the highest
priority.

Best regards,

Dick
--