[Springboard] Checking in on book study, the Obama transition and invisible college matters

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 15:24:02 EST 2009

If there is interest in a study group on Hot, Flat and Crowded, Bob Rafos has offered to get us started on JANUARY 14.  Let's talk.  The US ToP trainers meeting is going to be charting it for breakfast, and I will try to take pictures, share, and perhaps recruit some of them for an ongoing study.

I experience myself in a kind of suspended animation . . . the incoming administration is asking for input (www.change.gov) and there is a contest for the 10 best ideas to implement for America (www.change.org).  There is also a call and infrastructure for continued local meetings, planning and relationship building -- with encouragement for service projects on MLK day and hosting of local inaugural celebrations (www.barakobama.com).  You can find out what is happening in any zip code, organize your own events, etc.

Robert Schafer, a long time colleague of "the movement" stopped by over the weekend and we had a long talk, sort of like a reprise of our various Springboard gatherings -- what is our responsibility?  what do we have as a unique contribution based on our experience?  As you might expect from a couple of old, ecclesiola-trained guys, we waxed a bit philosophical, recalled several passages from the work that Anne Wood coordinated in spelling out the practical vision for a new social vehicle, he showed pictures of the earthship house he built out in the desert, etc.

See attached for some of our thoughts.  What is going on with you all these days?

Jim Wiegel

The essence of ultimate decision remains impenetrable to the observer - often, indeed, to the decider himself (...) There will always be the dark and tangled stretches in the decision-making process - mysterious even to those who may be intimately involved.   John F. Kennedy

401 North Beverly Way
Tolleson, Arizona 85353-2401
+1  623-936-8671
+1  623-363-3277