[Springboard] Big Sort Study today June 30

Ellen & David Rebstock grapevin2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 16:56:34 CDT 2009

I am attaching our charts for Chapters 2 & 3 and some questions we might
consider.  I assume the call in is the same.
Join us for the study this Tuesday.  Call in 269-320-8400.  access code
881373#

Sorting the Evidence

1. Does Like attract Like?

2. Does Geography Matter

3. 20/20 hindsight

What about the Future?

The Colorado Twist

Education

Religion

Immigration

Race

pp               6

7

13

17

21

22

23

24

25

31

“Mobility enables the sociological equivalent of assortive mating”

Once county becomes majority Rep or Dem; majority grows with increasing
speed, increased # of “landslide counties”

Pg 48 “Partisanship of plaace overpowered categories used to describe voting
blocks”

“Landslide >20%

Competitive <20%”

Dem Landslide higher % college degree

Rep landslide Co. with jigher % increase in church  in church  membership

Foreign born citizens move in to Dem Co.

Increase in % of white pop. In Rep Co.

Greatest Pop. Increase in Rep. Co.

poorer

“People more concerned with gov’t services than taxes or abortion.”

Dem in migration from Dem Co in other states i.e. LA

P               42

47

49

50

51

52

53

54

56

?Huh?

How is that true where you live?

Other than CA

Examples?

What are some of the demographic differences?

How are attitudes toward the war and the church involved? And toward gays?

Why?

Why?

Where and why?

How has this always been true? Has this happened in other countries?

What is the cause and is this really true? What are the effects of birth and
death rate?

What is the Colorado twist?

Chapter 3 THE PSHYCHOLOGY OF THE TRIBE

Historic WDC

“He has betrayed Those with whom he broke bread”

Judging Johnny Rocco

A Risky Shift to the Extreme

The Constant Clash of Opinions

The Consequences when the clashing stops

Not hearing the Other side

Pp 1

5

14

21

31

37

41

Early WDC “cosmos of evil” live with regional colleagues, limited mobility

Supreme Court in 1 rooming house

Reg’l  voting blocks; continues today, live in apt

 family at home, little fraternization after hours

Individuals compete with each other, effect of group on individual, find
evidence to confirm our preconceptions, exclude deviants

Popularity

Safety in group, group take greater risk than individual, become more
polarized, “grow more extreme in the direction of the majority view”

Vs “ mixed company moderates”

2         theories:

1. people in like minded groups privy to ideas & arguments & agree more
strongly.

2. find others share ideas, become socially advantageous to be more extreme.

Early anti-federalists seek community of like minded for common government.
Federalists: Heterogeneity = strength” reprsenta constituency OR vote best
for the nation?

Majority get stronger; minority don’t vote; perceive other side as more
extreme – decrease communication

Misunderstanding grows

Media option for interchange but self segregate into gated media
communities.

Listen/watch to reinforce what one already believes. “comfirmation bias”

“Us” vs the “Fringe”

NB “CA really weird”

P58

59

63

66

70

72

74

What were the effects of limited mobility?

What were the effects of living together?

Why do people in groups take more risk?

What are the 2 theories about this?

Where do you see taking sides based on constituency vs. common good?

Where have you seen the “consequences” scenario?

What News media?