[Springboard] Fwd: ICA Chronological History -Where DID the Wall of Wonder come from??

Nancy Lanphear nancy at songaia.com
Fri May 29 15:20:39 EDT 2009

Dear Ones,

I do not recall the origin of the Wall of Wonder.  I do know how the process
has been used,  it is one of our well-used tools here at Songaia and in the
Lanphear family.

Each year on New Year's eve, (for the past many years) we have done a Wall
of Wonder.  During our development phase, we would look over the years from
the purchase of the property (1986-87)  until the year ending, adding a
vision for the coming year.  Since we all moved in at the end of 2000, we
have looked at the past year by months with photos and post its naming the
events.  These could be community, global,  family or individual events.  We
would then name the shifts and the year.  Fred has been our fearless leader
of the process each year.  This year Michelle, one of our neighbors,
suggested that she could be Fred's arms and legs and added a step to the
process.  Before we put up the events, each of us would write a story about
an event of the year.  These were read, we all guessed the author, and saved
the stories to be used in Fred's book, SONGAIA, an Unfording Dream.

The Lanphear family has used the Wall of Wonder with our whole clan - ages
7-72.  Following the ALS Walk last September, our family gathered in the
Yurt on our property to begin a process of creating a Wall of Wonder.  Since
we only had about 3 hours, we asked each one to write down their date of
birth, place or origin, and a couple of other events that had been
highlights in their lives.  These questions allowed everyone to
participate.  The kids and adults were great contributors with the writing
and their fine presentations.  We can now add to the Wall as it is
possible.  This family event along with the ALS Walk was only two in the
series of year long events leading up to our 50th wedding anniversary on
July 4th, 2009.  Following Jann and Fred's (Maguire) designing of a year
long Jubilee Celebration for their 50th, we have  had so many activities,
events and profound gatherings and conversations during this year - what a
blessing!

Fred also led a Wall of Wonder for my family of origin many years ago,
stretching the butcher paper along a ladder in my parents front yard.  What
a difference there is in working with folks who are willing to trust a
structure as with those who wonder what in the world their sister/daughter
is up to?  My father and one brother never have trusted strange intrusions
into their lives.  The event with "THE WALL", however, was quite interesting
and revealing.

Love to all,

Nancy