[Springboard] Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 1 16:08:15 CST 2010

Jim Jewell first ran into the Institute when living in Norman, OK.  He attended the last (pre) RS-1 course in Austin before the move to Chicago, in 1962.  He spent a lot of hours in research, pulling things together, and was part of the "room E" research dynamic in the early and mid '70's.  He thought that the work done, back then, on the Other World (understanding the internal states of being of depth humanness) was some of the most valuable we did, even though we never broke through on it.

In the 80's, Jim was one of the trainers that helped develop and deliver ToP methods training in the Pacific Northwest.  Jim told the story of being invited, along with Dorothea, to train facilitators for Town Meetings in Nome Alaska.  They had the wisdom to suggest that a real Town Meeting, attended by community members and facilitated by the participants.  The meeting was held in a village outside Nome.  One of the participants had a whale hunter in her family and brought muktuk (fresh whale skin and blubber) to share.  According to Jim, the Town Meeting went well, and the taste of the muktuk was unique and quite pleasant.

Jim said, "Participation is in my bones.  I can't imagine working with a group without their full participation.  The result would not be as good.  The group is always smarter than you are."

Thanks, Dorothea, Mark, Diane, Russel, Nathan, for sharing Jim with me and with us.
 Jim

[Pete Seeger] talks about how important it is to him to get an audience singing along. "I guess it’s kind of a religion with me.  Participation: that’s what’s going to save the human race." -- Pete Seeger in The Power of Song

Jim Wiegel
401 North Beverly Way, Tolleson, Arizona 85353-2401
+1  623-936-8671   +1  623-363-3277
jfwiegel at yahoo.com www.partnersinparticipation.com