[Springboard] Another Random Act of Music

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 18:24:51 CST 2010

So, having read the emails from the Mathews Symposium -- comments from the 2 Marshalls . . .

We were in San Juan del Sur, a harbor town on the Pacific close to the south end of Nicaragua.  Many people who came for the Gold Rush in California came through there to ship on to San Francisco.

We walked through the playground in the center of the town, let the grandkids play a bit.  At the end of the playground, the Catholic church on the square was open and lit -- it was 2 days after Christmas.  We walked over, the door was open, a priest, up front was conducting the Mass.  Somewhere around lifting up the Host, he broke into song, to the tune of Sounds of Silence.  It was in Spanish, I could not catch the words, but I had to wonder . . .
 Jim

[Pete Seeger] talks about how important it is to him to get an audience singing along. "I guess it’s kind of a religion with me. Participation: that’s what’s going to save the human race." -- Pete Seeger in The Power of Song

Jim Wiegel
401 North Beverly Way, Tolleson, Arizona 85353-2401
+1 623-936-8671 +1 623-363-3277
jfwiegel at yahoo.com www.partnersinparticipation.com