[Springboard] Remember Joyce Carol Oates??

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 11:37:49 CDT 2010

These are all the symptoms of a great change that we all sense as the  coming
end of the human era. J.C. Oates, a leading American novelist  wrote back in the
70's about this very experience:

What appears to be the breaking down of civilization may  well be simply the
breaking up of old forms by life itself (not an  eruption of madness or self
destruction), a process that is entirely  natural and inevitable. Perhaps we are
in the tumultuous but exciting  close of a centuries-old kind of consciousness -
a few of us like  theologians of the Medieval church encountering the
unstoppable energy  of the Renaissance. What we must avoid is the paranoia of
history’s  “true believers”, who have always misinterpreted a natural,
evolutionary  transformation of consciousness as being the violent conclusion of
all  history. [Ref: (New Heaven, New Earth: The Visionary Experience in
Literature (1974)) images p.105]
 Jim

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken
place.     George Bernard Shaw

Jim Wiegel
401 North Beverly Way, Tolleson, Arizona 85353-2401
+1  623-936-8671   +1  623-363-3277
jfwiegel at yahoo.com www.partnersinparticipation.com