[Springboard] Let's find Nira!

Wayne Ellsworth wayne at icajapan.org
Tue Feb 15 21:36:26 CST 2011

Hello from Brasil,

Does anyone have a more recent email address for Nira Fialho? (The one below was returned)  She worked with ICA and then WWF and was/is a prolific trainer in Portuguese, and had a 2" thick manual about 15 years ago when ICA Brasil did the Youth Vocational Training project supported by ICA Japan.

Here is news from Rio:

We had a great trip to Rio, I would send photos, but they may be too depressing.  Actually, they are not depressing to me, but the responses of observing people and local government is hard to comprehend.  For instance, government moved 24 families to temporary quarters without a cent to their name, but government requires them to have a photo id (of course, lost in the tsunami-like floods) before they get govt support.  The photo costs US$5.00, but no one has any money!  And baby clothes are not included in donations, and the only TV was there only because of our visit, and internet services were cut off as well.

Here are photos from one of five places we researched.

Actually, I will do GFM and/or CDI training the next trip.  The disaster gives great incentive to move strongly toward gaining momentum in SA/Brasil.  Flood relief assists us in this matter.  Anyone else interested in coming to Brasil?

Wayne in Rio

Begin forwarded message: