[Dialogue] Democratic volunteerism

Karl Hess khess at apk.net
Mon Aug 2 15:10:12 EDT 2004

I quoted this from memory and it is more like 250/hour.  Sorry.  I
got the number this way.  I've never seen any serious effort to
quantify it.  It just is too horrible to contemplate.

The UN estimates 20,000 deaths from hunger per day.  About half of
these are in Africa and most are children.  That comes to 500/hr from
hunger.  Assuming no deaths from US trade policy in South Asia, I
estimate that half of all deaths of children from hunger in Africa
are from US trade policy.

There are several policies which make major 'contributions' - debt
and other WB/IMF policies are the major ones.  I can expand on this
if anyone would like, probably off the list. (see www.jubileeusa.org)
Most poor countries have enormous debt due to careless loans and
support for dictators from the 70's and 80's.  Since they have not
been able to pay interest, the principal conntinues to mount.  The US
Treasury insists on maintaining the status quo and although other
countries are willing to eliminate the debt they are not going to if
the US doesn't do its share.  These debt payments are in most of
these countries more than they spend for education or health care.
Those
countries where the debt has been reduced - Uganda particularly -
have increased school attendance and health care substantially.

Then there are agricultural subsidies.  Rich landowners in MS, for
esxample, get subsidies so that they can sell cotton at prices so low
that poor farmers all over the world cannot make a living.  When a
fammily is existing on $1/day, it doesn't take much of a cut in
income to devastate them.  There are lots of crops like this.

Then there is AIDS policy, etc, etc.

But even if I'm off 50%, and it is OHLY 125 children dying every hour
from the policies of our government, who is going to defend that?

Like I said, this election is life and death.

Karl