[Dialogue] African infant mortality a second look.

Ruth and Ken Gilbert gilbertr at prairienet.org
Wed Aug 4 23:09:10 EDT 2004

Hello Fred.  ( and by inclusion, all those in this dialogue)

About your reference to Bush economic policy causing deaths of African
infants.

The UN was estimating 20,000 African child deaths from malnutrition and
malaria a day when I was in West Africa.

But it's way more complicated than saying it is due to US economic policy.
As ICA West Africa organized baby weighings in villages where we saw
obviously malnourished children, I realized that : 1) it didn't make sense
that in these areas with in tact family units ( i.e. grandmothers around to
advise daughters about how to feed children successfully) and           2)
all the malnourished infants had well fed siblings.   ( there were
exceptions to this statement - see below).  I came to realize that mothers
were intentionally not weaning certain infants to solid food, but continued
to breast feed them.  The result was that by the end of a year, they failed
to thrive and died.  It takes a while to get into a culture deeply  enough
to figure out what is going on.  It turns out that certain sequences of
children are considered bad luck, and it is better to allow that child to
die. For example, the third child of the same sex in sequence is bad
luck.  The seventh child is bad luck ( I'm typing from memory, not my field
notes, but I think that is right).  There were other calculations still
more complicated.  We also knew that twins were always put out to the
forest to die. The "given" explanation was that when twins came, it was an
attempt by the devil to sneak into earth through a womb.  It was better to
let both of them die than to risk that the devil would get into the
village.  I suspect the real reason that twins are left to die is that the
are is VERY poor agricultural land.  A mom has to pick up her child and go
to the field and work the day after she gives birth. She can carry one
child to the field, she can't carry twins to the field. Those of you who
have traveled in Abidjan have noted how often a street beggar is a woman
with twins.  This is a woman who has defied the upcountry wisdom that twins
must be put out to perish in the bush and has elected instead to come to
the city to beg.  Twins are not common in Cot DÍvoire. . In near by
Nigeria, where the agricultural land is much richer, twins are cherished
and welcomed. Twins are unusually common in the rich Nigerian Delta, and
normally a woman's sister or other female relative will help care for the
twins. The dominate tribal group in Cote DÍvoire got there because  they
lost a political struggle in their original land in Nigeria and were driven
to the harsh land of Cote DÍvoire.     In such a poor land, I suspect that
the complex traditions about unlucky child sequence also have their actual
base in the need for a mom to limit the number of mouths she attempts to
feed. Those of us who live in a country where abortion is readily available
are not in a position to judge how women on other situations make these
complex and difficult decisions about controlling family size - especially
where the actually farming to feed the children is done by that mom. The
Baoule tradition is that they took their name from their great military
queen who, in the process of the forced migration out of Nigeria, came to
the river that is now the boundary to Cote D 'Ivoire. The river was
swarming with crocodiles.  Their enemy was on their heels.  The queen
grabbed her infant son, and held him underwater as a sacrifice to appease
the river gods.  The word Baoule translates "He has died. These are the
words that birthed the nation as the river allowed them to pass through -
but served as a barrier to the oncoming enemy. Ït is clear in this harsh
land, women are expected to make hard decisions.

The exception that I mentioned above. - in a village where a decision had
been made to shift from mud houses to cement houses, EVERY family in the
village agreed to scrape every single possible penny until there was enough
money to invest in cement blocks and tin roofs.  In those villages, every
infant and toddler was malnourished. It   usually took a village about
three years to save enough money to convert to cement block.  Once they
made the conversation, priorities shifted to children and the babies from
that point on would be fed normally.

Can I mention that at one point in our village health program, we were
easily distributing 20,000 condoms a month, most of which were used several
times.  The official Government policy was that birth control, being
considered unethical by Catholic authorities, had to be illegal in Cote
DÍvoir.  We made it clear that we were not doing birth control, our condoms
were indicated ONLY for child spacing to insure that the children who were
born were healthy. With that little turn of the phrase, we kept officials
happy in scores of villages two sous prefects, and in the ministry of
health. We also distributed bead necklaces that helped women keep track of
the menstrual cycles to allow them to practice natural contraception.   The
demand for all of these was tremendous.  Given the technology to limit
their families, poor women ( and men) quickly took advantage of them.

This note is not in praise of Bush economic policy.  I think that it does
keep Africa poor ( as have the trade policies of all Western nations for
the last two decades).  I prefer a trade policy that keeps them poor to a
so called diplomatic policy that keeps them at war as proxies for the
Western nations.  I think that other strategies are possible - and minimal
cost in economic terms. Burt Western allegiance to "capitalism as an
efficient market organizer" is applied as blind dogma all through our
relationships with Africa. Even if half the trained and competent managers
didn't have fatal  AIDS infections, it would be a multi generational effort
to move Africa as a whole into the status of a capital based economy.  For
a lot of reasons, African isn't Asia and isn't going to respond to economic
incentives as Asia did.

E-mail is a rather harsh media.  Sometimes harsh concepts discussed frankly
in e-mail seem sort of aggressive.  I'm a little worried that somebody will
take my note as an aggressive one.  Please be assured its my best effort to
share facts as I see them. You get to interpret them.   But your
interpretation has to respect that I spent six years upcountry and a lot of
that sleeping in mud walled huts trying to figure out what the H was going
on.   Ken

But it's way more complicated than saying that Bush economic policy is
killing babies in Africa.

Ken Gilbert