[Dialogue] Thank you Ken Gilbert, et al

jim rippey jimripsr at qwest.net
Sat Aug 7 14:36:27 EDT 2004

I was impressed with and educated by your account, Ken, of what you experienced during six years living in difficult conditions trying to help poor Africans.

I was impressed with George Holcombe's analysis of why progress in Africa is so difficult.  His "three major contradictions" that defeat progress are insights I will ponder.

I continue to share Karl Hess' concern about the extent and ways that U.S. trade policies contiribute to poverty, hunger and mortality in Africa.  It does seem that in George's words, there are at least some clues to consider.

Early on, David Dunn suggested that an important function of this list, one closely alligned with his values, was for us to link our political commentary to value declarations and faith statements.

All this has happened, thanks to Ken's original question.  And for me, at least, it has resuslted in something far deeper and more meaningful that what I find on Move On.  I hope it will continue in this vein as events warrant it.

Jim Rippey, 702 Ft. Crook Rd. So. #330. Bellevue, NE  68005.  (402) 291-3868