[Dialogue] More on fundamentalism

george geowanda at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 23:57:12 EDT 2004

This is an interesting piece talking about the religious right and the
Republican Party, http://www.crisispapers.org/essays/suckers.htm

My own experience with talking with neo-cons and fundamentalist friends
and relatives is that if there is not trust and respect between us
there is not going to be a conversation, or much of a debate.  The
difficulty is not with the politics but at a much deeper level, and
work needs to be done there first.  Remembering the art form method,
the question is more important than the answer, I like to ask folks
something like: If we are safer now, why hasn't the color code been
lowered?  If we've turned the corner why have all the Food Pantries in
town reported a doubling of clients in the past 6 months? Etc.  It's
kind of fun to listen to the answers.

George Holcombe