[Dialogue] Spong 10/31/07 2nd coming

KroegerD at aol.com KroegerD at aol.com
Thu Nov 1 07:18:18 EDT 2007

October 31, 2007
The Fifth Fundamental The  Second Coming

The last of the Five Fundamentals claimed by American Protestant
Traditionalists as the irreducible essence of Christianity has to do with the  second
coming of Jesus. To modern ears it is the most bizarre of the five and is  based,
I believe, on a misunderstanding of the Christ experience that was later
literalized. However, that misunderstanding has found a place in the gospels
themselves, and so the distortion echoes through the ages. This fifth
fundamental stated that Christians are required to believe that Jesus will  return to
the earth in a bodily form on the last day for two purposes. He will  come,
first to inaugurate the Kingdom of God and second to carry out the final
judgment. This ancient concept involved pictorial images of Jesus coming  physically
out of the sky, which made sense only in a pre-Copernican world. It  forces
contemporary believers to affirm the literalness of a place called  heaven, where
great and eternal rewards are handed out and of a place called  hell where
great and eternal punishment must be endured. It also implies that  the "Day of
Judgment" has to be regarded as an event that will occur inside  history at
the end of time. For most modern people all of these concepts fall  somewhere in
between gobbledygook and complete non-sense. That is at least part  of the
reason why there is in our time a rush into secularism and why our modern  world
produces popular books espousing atheism. Yet, the fact remains that even  in
this generation those who predict the specific date for the second coming of
Jesus still get media attention - though maybe only the kind of attention
that  one gives to the theater of the absurd. Occasionally, some person will
actually  claim that they are in fact the Jesus who will come again. The last one
of these  to gain major attention in the media was from Texas - enough said.
Devotees of  the second coming quote the Bible literally to justify their
convictions.  Perhaps we ought to start by looking at these biblical ideas.
Apocalypticism, or concern with the end of the world, is indeed a note found
first in the Hebrew Scriptures and later in Paul and the gospels.
Apocalypticism  appears to enter this tradition as a sign of the decline of hope among
the  Jewish people that their vindication would ever occur inside history. That
despair was born after the Assyrians conquered the Northern Kingdom of Israel
in  721 B.C.E. That defeat for the Jews dispersed the citizens of the
Northern  Kingdom into the DNA pools of the Middle East, never to be isolated,
identified  or heard of again. These people are referred to today as "The Ten Lost
Tribes of  Israel." The Assyrians also reduced the last remaining Jewish state
called Judah  to vassal status and inaugurated a policy of collecting tribute,
which left the  Jews in poverty and allowed hopelessness to become their
daily bread. It was out  of that hopelessness that the Jews began both to dream of
God's restoration and  to envision exactly what would occur at the end of
history when the Kingdom of  God would be established. Apocalypticism also fed
the messianic dreams of the  Jews, for one aspect of the messiah who would come,
was that he would  reestablish the Jewish nation, restore the Jewish throne
and usher in the  Kingdom of God at the end of time.
These hopes grew in direct proportion to the rise of Jewish despair. After
vassalage to the Assyrians, the Kingdom of Judah was defeated and destroyed by
the new power of the Middle East, the Babylonians. This time Judah tried to
hold  out against this foe, fighting a brilliant defensive battle for two years
before  the walls around Jerusalem were breached and the victorious
Babylonians poured  in. The city was laid to waste, the Temple destroyed and all the
able bodied  citizens were deported to exile in Babylon never to see their holy
land again.  Some two generations later, the Persians overran the Babylonians
and let the  captive people finally return to their homeland, where they
discovered that the  nation of Judah was little more than a rock pile and that
Jerusalem was so  crippled that it would never again inspire grand dreams. In that
climate  apocalyptic thinking thrived. Someday messiah will come, they said,
and draw  history to a close. Messiah will usher in the Kingdom of God, judge
the people  of the world and begin the time after time and beyond history when
God's will is  done "on earth as in heaven."
It was not long, however, before the Persians were overrun by the Macedonians
 and the Jews became again a conquered province now in the empire of
Alexander  the Great. Upon Alexander's death, the Jewish state became a pawn between
the  Syrians and the Egyptians until Rome's might once again united that part
of the  world under Roman domination. So when the Jews looked at history they
saw it  only as an arena of their constant victimization. In response they
created  apocalyptic fantasies that anticipated the end of the world. In that
alone they  found both comfort and hope. The promised one, they said, would
descend out of  the sky at the end of time and usher in the new age of peace under
the dominance  of these oppressed people. Many definitions floated around the
idea of messiah  in Jewish circles. He would be the Son of David, and thus the
heir to David's  throne. He would be the new Moses and the new Elijah, the Son
of Man and even  the Son of God. Much of the gospel material in the New
Testament was designed,  not to describe things Jesus actually said and did, but to
attach various images  to him in order to demonstrate his claim to be the
messiah. They believed that  when messiah came he would be recognized because the
signs of the kingdom would  be the marks of his life: the blind would see,
the deaf hear, the lame walk and  the mute sing. When Jesus was identified by
his disciples as the messiah all of  these images were attached to his memory.
When Matthew attributed to him the  parable of the Judgment in which the sheep
and the goats were separated and  dispatched, one to eternal life, the other
to outer darkness, messianic thinking  was clearly operative.
Messiah would come out of the sky because that is where God lived. The "City
of God" would descend out of heaven; living water would flow from above when
the  Kingdom dawned. All of these images assumed a three-tiered universe with
heaven,  the abode of God, just above the sky. Christianity's incarnational
language  reflected that mentality. Jesus was the human form of God above,
entering human  history through a miraculous virgin birth. His life was filled with
Godlike acts  and people said that he was destined to return to the God above
the sky through  the miracle of a cosmic ascension. Those were the
interpretive symbols used to  tell the Christ story. Interestingly enough, however,
these traditional story  lines do not appear to be original to Christianity. The
Virgin birth, for  example, did not enter the Christian tradition until the 9th
decade. Paul who  wrote between 50-64 had clearly never heard of it. Neither
had Mark, the first  gospel, written in the early years of the 8th decade. The
story of Jesus'  ascension, as something separate from the resurrection, is a
10th decade  addition to the Christian story and try as we may, we find no
evidence of  miracles being associated with Jesus until the 8th decade.
Something occurred, an experience that cannot be described, causing the
disciples to identify Jesus with that promised messiah and immediately these  "end
of the world" images were wrapped around him, It quickly became obvious,
however, that neither the life nor the death of Jesus had established the
Kingdom of God. So echoes in the teaching of Jesus appeared suggesting that he
would come again to complete the messianic task before "this generation has
passed away." He was called the "first fruits of the Kingdom of God." A crisis
developed in the church at Thessalonica when Jesus did not return immediately
and Paul had to address this anxiety in his first Epistle to the Thessalonians.
Two thousand years have now passed and the Kingdom has not yet dawned.
Increasingly most people just assume that this was a misunderstanding that got
incorporated into Jesus. In Luke's gospel and in his second volume that we call
the book of Acts, it begins to look like the hope for the second coming has
already been replaced by the idea that the church has the universal mission to
convert the world. Some have suggested that the coming of the Holy Spirit at
Pentecost was really the second coming and that the church, presumably born
in  that Pentecost experience, was now the "Body of Christ." That idea
transforms  the second coming symbol somewhat.
Others have said that Christ's second coming is in the lives of his faithful
disciples, our commitment to live the Christ life. These explanations may be
helpful to some but they are not to me. Neither are they to those almost to
be  pitied people, who fail to live now because they spend their lives getting
ready  to welcome Jesus in his second coming.
All of the apocalyptic language, out of which talk of a second coming of
Jesus arises, is mythological language expressing hope that is not bound by the
pain of this world. It was never meant to be literalized. The classical
fundamentalists, who wrote the Five Fundamentals of Christianity, are thus not  the
true interpreters of the Christ story but the ones, who by literalizing the
interpretive myths have actually falsified the Christ experience so totally
that  21st century people find it increasingly difficult to call themselves
Christian.
So our analysis of the Five Fundamentals of Christianity is now complete.
Every single one of them is intellectually bankrupt in the light of modern
knowledge. The Bible is not the inerrant word of God. The Virgin Birth has
nothing to do with biology. The idea of substitutionary atonement is a barbaric
idea that makes God an ogre, Jesus a victim and you and me the guilt-ridden
causes of Jesus' death. The resurrection of Jesus is not a physical, bodily
resuscitation. The second coming is nothing more than a mythological way to
express the human yearning for fulfillment. It has nothing to do with an event  that
might occur in time.
So what is Christianity all about if none of these "fundamentals" are
literally true? That will be my topic next week.
John Shelby Spong
Question and Answer
With John  Shelby Spong
Alan Lee, via the Internet, writes:
I have been a subscriber to your weekly newsletter for some time. I sincerely
 appreciate your opening up an entirely different interpretation of biblical
events, making it possible for a person to question the literal view without
feeling like an evil person. I have certainly gained important insights into
the  Bible and learned much about what doesn't make sense in the literal
interpretations. Of your several books, which do you feel would be the most
helpful and informative to read if I am primarily looking for your view on what
the Bible and Christianity mean when they are stripped of the literal
interpretations?
Dear Alan,
The Bible has been used for centuries by Christians as a weapon of control.
To read it literally is to believe in a three-tiered universe, to condone
slavery, to treat women as inferior creatures, to believe that sickness is
caused by God's punishment and that mental disease and epilepsy are caused by
demonic possession. When someone tells me that they believe the Bible is the
"literal and inerrant word of God," I always ask, "Have you ever read it?"
I work on the Bible constantly. The two books I recommend to you are
Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism, a survey of the entire Bible  from Genesis to
Revelation, and The Sins of Scripture, in which I  looked at the way the
Bible has been used throughout history to support  prejudice, to create
stereotypes, to justify war, environmental degradation and  a host of other evils. A
literally understood Bible has been the source of great  evil. I think we should
recognize that and state it clearly.
John Shelby Spong