[Dialogue] Completed life of Dick Smyres

Janice Ulangca aulangca at stny.rr.com
Thu Nov 1 10:52:05 EDT 2007

Thank you, Ron.  Dick was active in helping with many Town Meetings. His ability to "read" people and situations, his sense of humor and steady support were wonderful.  One of the last times that Abe and I worked with him was before their move to Florida.  He asked us to come and help with strategic planning for their church in Stroudsburg, PA.  He said, "There's a split in the church between people who have always lived in this community and 'newcomers' - people who have moved to the Poconos from NY city either as retirees or even as commuters.  We have to find a common vision that will pull the congregation together."  The planning weekend was prepared with unusual care. In a campaign over 6 months or more, Dick and his long-range planning committee had gathered data re people's vision for the future of the church from conversations with every church-related group. They had also had the congregation fill out simple questionnaires during several worship services. This was all done before Dick ever contacted us - it was his plan.  The data was sent to us several weeks in advance. So the congregation was able to start with a pull-together of that wide and thoughtful input, reach consensus on broad directions, and develop action plans.  Abe and I did not track the outcome closely, but did receive a couple of progress reports from Dick indicating victories along with frustrations.  He and Ethyl were great to work with, and Dick's steady leadership and ability to continue to recontext their long-range goals was a very valuable gift to that congregation.  I'm sure that wherever they went Dick and Ethyl made fine contributions.  In my book, Dick Smyres is one of the many "saints" of EI/ICA/O:E.

Janice Ulangca