[Dialogue] Churchmanship for Youth

Janice Ulangca aulangca at stny.rr.com
Thu Nov 1 17:57:39 EDT 2007

Some of the issues for the spiritual journey of youth (and for all of us):

The foundational individual journey - I am accepted - facing The Way Life Is - living the life I have on my hands
What is the call of this time in history?
Finding destinal significant engagement
Learning practical skills for caring for the world
How to live through the Dark Night and Long March
Accessing in some depth the treasures of one of the religious traditions, with respectful exposure to others

For the Christian, finding and contributing to The Beloved Community - the Church.  What does an authentic congregation look like?  (Or even a small group.)  When are its struggles examples of the brokenness of life, and when does its shallowness need to be addressed or avoided?  When are patience, forbearance, healing called for, and when is anger appropriate?  What are the roles of gratitude, confession, absolution, forgiveness?  What/how is prayer?  What is the role of doubting - of questioning?  How does the congregation together (corporately) be a sign of care for the world?

I wish there were engaging curricula for all of this!  Some pieces are part of the EI/ICA heritage.

Janice Ulangca

Janice Ulangca
3413 Stratford Drive
Vestal, NY  13850