[Dialogue] Prayers for election day

Janice Ulangca aulangca at stny.rr.com
Tue Nov 6 08:43:19 EST 2007

Thoughts to ponder, just in from Presbyterian colleagues in this area.  Good things to focus our intentions on.
Janice

Prayers For Election Day
Under your law we live, great God, and by your will we govern ourselves. Help us as good citizens to respect neighbors whose views differ from ours, so that without partisan anger, we may work out issues that divide us, and elect candidates to serve the common welfare, through Jesus Christ the Lord, Amen.   Book of Common Worship, 817

Almighty God, ruler of all the peoples of the earth, forgive, we pray, our shortcomings as a nation; purify our hearts to see and love truth; give wisdom to our counselors and steadfastness to our people; and bring us at last to the fair city of peace, whose foundations are mercy, justice, and goodwill, and whose builder and maker you are through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.  ~ Woodrow Wilson 1856-1924
Prayer for the Nation
O God, who art the Ruler and the Judge of all nations, look mercifully on our land.

Sanctify all that is rich and noble in our traditions. Grant that our ideals and aspirations may be in accordance with thy will.

Take away pride and false pretense from our midst; give us humility in our relations with others and sobriety in our dealings at home. Bless our leaders and the people, in our several efforts to make this land happy and prosperous.

Help us to discipline ourselves, so that our national freedom may be used for

the common good, and may bring us all to the knowledge of him whose service

is perfect freedom, even Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Amen

Janice Ulangca
3413 Stratford Drive
Vestal, NY  13850
607-797-4595