[Dialogue] {Spam?} {Disarmed} Major ICA Canada programme: Nolen to bring frontline stories of AIDS in Africa

John Patterson jpatterson at abbeynorth.ca
Mon Nov 12 16:54:21 EST 2007

Subject: CTV.ca | Nolen to bring frontline stories of AIDS in Africa

Weather <http://www.ctv.ca/weather>

Wireless
<http://www.ctv.ca/generic/generated/static/NewsWireless/wireless.html>

Site <http://www.ctv.ca/generic/generated/static/NewsServices/siteMap.html>
Map

RSS <http://www.ctv.ca/generic/generated/freeheadlines/freeFeed.html>

Galleries <http://www.ctv.ca/photos>

 Top Stories <http://images.ctv.ca/mar/images/headers/word_TopStories.gif>

 a caregiver at the Sparrows Nest, a hospice run by Sparrow Ministries in
Roodepoort, South Africa, in this Oct. 16, 2001, file photo. (AP Photo /
Denis Farrell, File)
<http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20061201/160_ap_AIDS_africa_0612
01.jpg>

An HIV/AIDS baby cries as she is carried by a caregiver at the Sparrows
Nest, a hospice run by Sparrow Ministries in Roodepoort, South Africa, in
this Oct. 16, 2001, file photo. (AP Photo / Denis Farrell, File

Nolen to bring frontline stories of AIDS in Africa

Updated Sun. Nov. 11 2007 10:47 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

South Africa-based journalist and author Stephanie Nolen will be bringing
stories from the frontlines of the battle against HIV/AIDS to Toronto.

"HIV/AIDS: Stories From the Field" is designed to raise funds to bolster the
fight and inspire people here to take action, said Eowynne Feeney,
co-director of Listen to the Drumming, the group hosting the event.

"What we hope people get from this is that there is hope and there are
people on the ground -- Africans on the ground -- who are doing amazing
work," Feeney tells CTV.ca.

"We also would like Canadians to start thinking about this issue and how
they can actively get involved, either through giving to organizations like
ourselves who support local initiatives or volunteering, as well as
petitioning our government to live up to our commitment."

The event will be held on Tuesday at Toronto's St. Paul's Bloor Street
Church.

Listen to the Drumming is the African support wing of the Canadian Institute
of Cultural Affairs, or ICA, an international organization with 30 partners
in countries around the world.

Stephen Lewis was the keynote speaker at last year's event. This year,
Nolen, of The Globe and Mail, was sought to speak largely because staff
members were inspired by her book "28: Stories of AIDS in Africa.

"She has been reporting on the issue of HIV and AIDS for quite some time
now, almost five years, and has worked with a lot of important African
HIV/AIDS activists, and her book does such a great job of highlighting all
the different aspects of HIV aids," said Feeney.

"It's such a complex issue and I think she's good at eloquently explaining
it and giving people a personal connection to it."

Dr. Philip Berger, chair of community and family medicine at St. Michael's
hospital, who spent seven-and-a-half months working at a clinic in Lesotho,
will also speak at the event.

In addition to raising awareness and encouraging Canadians to volunteer,
organizers also hope the event will raise money so their work of partnering
with groups in Africa, can continue.

Feeney says the group's priority is always to support and develop local
groups, as opposed to parachuting in foreign workers to tackle the issues.

"Our mandate is to support our sister organizations in Africa through
supporting local grassroots initiatives. And the capacity on the ground of
local African organizations to deliver is amazing. They just need the
resources to do it and we're hoping we can mobilize those resources for
them," she says.

But in addition to inspiring action and raising funds to tackle the massive
problem, Stories from the Field is also designed to be a celebration of the
efforts that are happening now and the progress that is being made.

One of those success stories, she said, involves a Masai village in northern
Kenya that approached the group. The small, isolated village had no access
to HIV testing, and community leaders wanted to improve monitoring efforts.

ICA co-operated with a local group that had trained workers in the area,
recruiting community members for the project and raising awareness in the
village about the importance of being tested.

Within six months, one-sixth of the village population had been tested -- a
major breakthrough for a community that previously had no access to the
service.

"Right now we're actually working on this model to see if it can become a
community care model that we could use with other communities to prevent the
spread of HIV," Feeney said.

Meanwhile, a program in South Africa is educating young people on HIV and
AIDS prevention, but also focuses on empowerment and leadership training
with the goal of raising up leaders to set a new standard among their
generation.

That program is being run by a 19-year-old South African -- clear evidence
that the initiative is having an impact, Feeney said, adding that she hopes
people leave the event filled with inspiration and motivation.

"Stephanie is a riveting speaker and she also inspires us all to do
something, little or big. And we also want people to come and talk to us
about how they can get involved with our organization."

Both programs will benefit from Tuesday's event, Feeney said.

Tickets are $35, or $25 for students.

  _____

User Tools

*	Print
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/print/CTVNews/20071109/nolen_aids_071
109/20071111/?hub=TorontoHome&subhub=PrintStory>  This Page
*	E-Mail Story
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/HTMLTemplate/!ctvPop/News/EmailFriend?articleURL=
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071109/nolen_aids_0711
09/20071111>
*	Feedback
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/HTMLTemplate/!ctvPop/News/Feedback?date=20071111&
slug=nolen_aids_071109&archive=CTVNews&outputFormat=TextEmailFormat-realtime
&brand=generic&articleURL=http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNew
s/20071109/nolen_aids_071109/20071111>
*	Fonts:BiggerSmaller

Top Stories <http://www.ctv.ca/news>

*	War
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071111/remem_day_0711
11/20071111?hub=TopStories>  dead honoured across Canada, Afghanistan
*	Quebec
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071111/bianca_march_0
71111/20071111?hub=TopStories>  could see tougher laws for speeding drivers
*	Tanker
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071111/russia_spill_0
71111/20071111?hub=TopStories>  splits in two, spills oil in Black Sea
strait
*	Risk
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071109/tia_stroke_071
109/20071111?hub=TopStories>  of a major stroke after a minor stroke high
*	Pakistan
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071111/pakistan_07111
1/20071111?hub=TopStories>  leader promises elections in January
*	Group
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071111/ufo_investigat
ions_071111/20071111?hub=TopStories>  urges U.S. to re-open UFO
investigations
*	Roughriders
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071111/cfl_riders_071
111/20071111?hub=TopStories>  beat Stampeders, head to West final

Related Stories

*	Questions remain about ineffective HIV vaccine
*	'Idol' donations help combat AIDS in Africa

Web Links

*	Listen to the Drumming <http://icacan.ca/HIVAIDS/index.cfm>

[...]

About CTV | Contests <http://www.ctv.ca/contests>  | Careers
<http://works.workopolis.com/customers/bgm/gi/>  | CTV Announcements |
Advertise on TV <http://sales.ctv.ca/>  | CTV Media <http://ctvmedia.ca/>  |
Advertise on Web

Archive Sales | Tapes and Transcripts | Privacy
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/1096995711482_92404850>
Policy | Terms
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/1096996047724_92404854>
and Conditions | Contact Us | Site Map

 <http://www.tsn.ca> TSN

 <http://www.discoverychannel.ca> Discovery Channel

 <http://www.cornergas.com/> Corner Gas

 <http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca> The Comedy Network

<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1124900164735_120309364

 <http://www.bnn.ca>

 <http://www.bnn.ca>

 <http://www.idol.ctv.ca> Canadian Idol

 <http://www.instantstar.ctv.ca> Instant Star

 <http://www.robsonarms.com> Robson Arms

 <http://www.degrassi.tv> Degrassi

 <http://www.mtv.ca> sympatico.ca

C 2007  <http://www.ctvglobemedia.com> CTVglobemediaAll Rights Reserved.

<http://visit.theglobeandmail.com/counter.visit?grp=news&site=ctv&l1=News&l2
=TorontoHome&l3=nolen_aids_071109&page=story&ord=1194845249637>