[Dialogue] {Spam?} Spong 11/14/07 In New Zealand

KroegerD at aol.com KroegerD at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 11:12:02 EST 2007

November 14, 2007
Lecturing in Central Otago, New  Zealand

Most of my readers will not have heard of Central Otago. Otago is the name of
 a Southern Province in New Zealand stretching roughly from Dunedin on the
southeast coast to Queenstown in the west. South from Dunedin the next land
mass  confronted would be Antarctica. Central Otago is marked by two magnificent
glacial lakes: Lake Wanaka and Lake Wakatipu, which stretch out for miles
beneath snow capped peaks in what is arguably the most beautiful part of the
world. Not surprisingly, there is a place named "Paradise" and another named the
 "Garden of Eden." No snakes inhabit this Garden, however, for snakes are
unknown  in all of New Zealand. Nestled in this area are small towns like
Alexandra,  Clyde, Cromwell and Wanaka. One thirty bed hospital serves the entire
region and  draws the population into a sense of oneness. The people who live
here feel far  removed from the world's power centers. They are primarily of
European  extraction with a heavy influence from England and Scotland. Reflecting
that  Scottish heritage one hears references to a "wee breeze" or a "wee
river."
Three unusual women live in this region and it is about them that I write
this week. Some time ago, they discovered in each other a discomfort about
organized religion. Since Christianity is the only significant religious form in
this part of their country, their discomfort was expressed in Christian terms.
 It was not anything associated with a conflict over some particular church
issue, but was attached to a general sense of religion's increasing
irrelevance  to their lives. One of these women, Joy Ramsay, a tall, attractive and
creative  woman, under fifty years of age, was a single mom with two sons, one in
high  school, the other at a university. Her training was in education and she
had  served as a teacher and tutor. Her hobby, late developing, but still
passionate,  was her motorbike. She had always been an active member of her
Presbyterian  Church and on one occasion had served as its lay preacher and
administrator when  it was without a resident pastor. It was her attempt each week to
find meaning  in the Bible lesson assigned for their Sunday worship that
fuelled her growing  religious dis-ease.
'The second woman was Nola Gollop, a grandmother, married to a retired
private school head. Her training had been in accounting work, but her natural
ability had brought her into areas of public health. Possessing a small and
energetic frame, she was a well known hiker who knew all of the "tramping
trails," as New Zealander's call them, in this immediate area and she walked  these
trails almost daily, sometimes alone, sometimes with her husband Rory.  While
both Nola and Rory had once been active in this same Presbyterian Church,  both
had now dropped out, also unable to embrace intellectually things like
virgin births, resuscitated bodies and someone's ability to feed 5,000 people  with
five loaves of bread. If being "faithful" meant having to believe in these
things literally then faithfulness had little appeal.
The third woman, Liz Duggan, was a widow and a grandmother. An Anglican, she
gave this threesome an ecumenical look. She was very active in her church,
having been appointed by her bishop to be the Archdeacon of her diocese of
Dunedin. In that un-paid capacity she travelled constantly, visiting churches
and clergy, serving as a trouble shooter and offering support when needed to
struggling congregations. Her role forced her to deal frequently with issues
that in her mind could not matter much to God, but which seemed to consume those
 who called themselves Christian. Her professional background was that of a
dental assistant, but in her retirement she had begun to give leadership to
many  enterprises based on her own innate ability. As active as she was in her
church  life, she too felt an increasing dislocation between the things her
church  thought were essential elements of its belief system and the ever
enlarging  world of her experience. As insightful as these three women were, no one
would  have seen them as anything more than typical citizens of their small
community.
Looking for something more from their religious life, however, these three
women became members of the "Sea of Faith", an organization founded by
Cambridge  theologian Don Cupitt and greatly encouraged in New Zealand by Lloyd
Geering, a  retired theologian, famous for having been put on trial for heresy by
the  Presbyterian Church in 1967. He was exonerated, but the trial raised to
public  consciousness a variety of issues included in what Christians tended to
call  "orthodoxy." Many people now began to realize that they too were
uncomfortable  with these issues. Lloyd Geering became their voice and through his
lecturing  and writing career he articulated a radical version of Christianity.
One has  only to look at one of his book titles, Christianity Without God, to
realize  that Geering had moved the goal posts of religious discussion in this
country.  These women found in this Sea of Faith group a place where their
ideas were  honoured, not rejected.
Next they became part of a "House Church," meeting once a month to read books
 that would never have been introduced in their churches. Here they heard the
 names of Robert Funk, Marcus Borg, Karen Armstrong and yes, John Shelby
Spong.  Doorways into what Christianity might be were opened and these women
eagerly  walked through them.
When I was formally invited to return to Australia to keynote the 2007
"Common Dreams" conference in Sydney, my publisher, Harper/Collins, decided to  use
that opportunity to launch the Australian edition of my newest book, Jesus
for the Non-Religious and to organize a media tour to introduce that book in
Australia. Eventually that tour would result in 30 lectures, over 50 media
events and would take me to seven of Australia's major cities. When that
developed my agent in New Zealand, Elizabeth Robinson, decided to explore  whether or
not there was interest in New Zealand for piggy backing on the  Australian
publicity to organize a similar lecture tour of New Zealand. Sending  out
letters of inquiry to churches and universities across New Zealand she  announced my
possible availability and waited to see what responses might  result.
Sufficient interest came back to make that tour a reality and I  ultimately gave 14
lectures and did 20 media events in that country. Those  external details,
however, do not tell the full drama of the story. One of these  letters sent to
churches was opened, not by a priest or pastor, but by Joy  Ramsey in her
capacity as the lay head of her Presbyterian Church. Since few  authors on book
tours go to small towns, none of the clergy in Central Otago  bothered to respond.
That was, however, not the response of this questioning lay  woman who had
actually read several of my books. Here was a letter indicating  that if there
were proper interest this author might actually come to her  community of 4500
people. She immediately contacted Nola Gollop and Liz Duggan  and together,
they said: "Why Not"! Let's go for it". They secured a date on  Elizabeth
Robinson's calendar and began to plan for this event to occur in late  September, in
the lovely town of Alexandra. They decided the lecture should be  held in a
non-church setting so that those who were not comfortable in church,  but who
were spiritually inquisitive, might be more willing to attend. The venue  was
set at the Alexandra Community Hall. They invited the local clergy, but made
no attempt to involve them in planning lest the event be hijacked by
traditional  religion. They advertised the event, sold tickets, planned refreshments,
answered questions and hoped that their initiative would meet with community
approval and wide participation. Each of the three felt that their reputations
were on the line. This was a bold venture in this rural, small town world.
Christine and I flew from Auckland to Queenstown, the most popular vacation
spot on New Zealand's South Island. We were met by Nola Gollop and Joy Ramsay.
 Their first question was: "How shall we address you?" I responded
immediately  with: "How about Your Holiness," to which my wife, barely refraining from
kicking me, let them know that I was not serious. So they called me 'Jack' and
 with that, a spectacular three days began. They arranged for us to stay in a
 magnificent B and B on a vineyard that produces a spectacular Pinot Noir,
owned  by Suzanne and John Grant and they scheduled three hikes for us in the
immediate  area. In addition to this I was invited to go to the local hospital
to call on  an 85 year old man, named Scott, who was not well enough to attend
the lecture,  but who told me "I have read all of your books." I was deeply
touched by his  enthusiasm and by that of the six members of his family who
gathered with me  around his bed for a mini-seminar.
On the night of the lecture 120 people showed up, exceeding these ladies'
fondest dreams. Some had driven as much as three hours to attend. I have never
addressed a more responsive audience. They were eager to hear and their
questions afterwards were both intelligent and open. No one seemed defensive for
God or appeared to think that religion was under attack. The experience was
rather that of truth being explored and faith being expanded. At least ten
clergy were present. I had the chance to have dinner with two of these clergy
later and they were both very impressive people. I also met people at this
lecture who were the salt of the earth: a carpenter, a counsellor, an engineer,
several farmers and sheepherders. I even met one openly transgender person whom
I later discovered was on the vestry of a local Anglican Church, and I heard
that the Anglican Bishop of Dunedin had just ordained a gay man to the
priesthood because, as he said, "it is right." My stereotype of what happens in
small towns was significantly challenged. I left Central Otago inspired and
confident that Christianity can in fact be rescued from the Church and that
Jesus can be freed from religion. I was newly convinced that if the clergy would
dare to be courageous and to proclaim what all of them know about the human
origins of the Bible and the historical development of theology, they would
discover that there is among the religiously disenfranchised of the world a
yearning to learn, a willingness to engage new ideas and a desire to seek the
truth of God, come whence it may, cost what it will.
I suspect that there are literally millions of Joy Ramsays, Nola Gollops and
Liz Duggans in the Christian church, feeling betrayed by their clergy and
hanging on to their faith by the skin of their teeth, eager to know that there
is more to Christianity than they have been allowed to know. These three women
 are to me the faces of Central Otago and represent my unseen audience all
over  the world. Because of them I am now more hopeful for my faith and more
alive as  a human being. That is why I wanted to introduce them to you my readers
this  week.
John Shelby Spong.
Question and Answer
With John  Shelby Spong
Bill, from southern New Jersey, writes:
I have shared your thoughts with many people, and the most frequent response
I hear is: "If I could find a church whose pastor spoke like Bishop Spong, I
wouldn't miss a Sunday." Are there any churches in South Jersey that share
your  vision of what a church could be?
Dear Bill,
I wish I were knowledgeable about South Jersey churches, but other than
possessing some anecdotal evidence, I am not.
One of my favorite clergy, The Rev. Dr. Jill McNish, who has her PhD from
Union Seminary in New York City, recently accepted a call to South Jersey
(Swedesboro). She was an attorney prior to going to seminary and is one of the
brightest people I know. However, South Jersey is very large and Swedesboro may
or may not be a possibility for you.
Another option would be to send an e-mail to the Rev. Fred Plummer
(fplummer at tcpc.org) who heads up the Center for Progressive Christianity, with  whom
churches can register by meeting eight criteria of openness (one of which  is
theological). Ask Fred for a list of the South Jersey churches (of all
denominations) that are on his list. Those readers of this column from elsewhere  in
the country who have the same question may also avail themselves of this
service with a simple e-mail. The same is true for churches that might want to
identify themselves with the Center of Progressive Christianity. They would like
to know where the congregations are to which they can refer requests like
yours.
Beyond those bits of advice you have to hunt for such a church one by one.
Every denomination has some churches that live in the 21st century and engage
it  meaningfully and some that do not. As a whole denomination, I find the
United  Church of Christ ahead of most other parts of Christianity. I am excited
by many  things that I see on the cutting edge of the United Methodist Church.
I have  also been deeply touched by Unity Churches, a Church that now calls
itself  "Centers for Spiritual Living" (but which once was known as the Church
of  Religious Science) and by the intellectual freedom that I find in the
Unitarian-Universalist Fellowship. Indeed a UU Church in Washington's Crossing,
New Jersey, is another example of a vital South Jersey congregation. For those
attracted to more sacramental expressions of Christianity, I have discovered
that the level of openness and engagement such congregations display depends
totally on the pastor. These clergy are not always appreciated by their
respective hierarchies, but in my mind they are the heroes of Christianity who
will be responsible for making it possible for Christianity to live in the 21st
century and beyond. I admire them greatly. You would too if you knew who they
 are and where their churches are located.
I hope this helps.
John Shelby Spong