[Dialogue] The Legacy of our Community

Gordon Harper top-nw at clear.net
Tue Dec 7 01:50:25 CST 2010

Colleagues --

We seem currently to be engaged in a number of conversations about
passing on the legacy of our community. Some of us participated in one
of these this past July, with faculty members and students at Oklahoma
City University. We met to explore working together on developing a
curriculum for future social change agents, the OIKOS Project.

It raised again the question of just what we mean when we talk about
sharing our legacy.  We know that it includes but is far more than the
treasures in those file cabinets.  How do we helpthe OIKOS folks to get
a handle on it? We also know that others down the road who study and
research the social, political and spiritual movements of the second
half of the 20th century will come to their own conclusions about what
our legacy was or might be at a particular moment in future time. The
question for us is whether we'd like a shot at helping to shape those
conclusions.

This is an opportunity for those of us who are still more or less alive
and kicking to point to some aspects of who we are, who we've been or
what we've done that we think should not be overlooked in any discussion
of our legacy. We're launching this conversation on the Dialogue and OE
listservs, since that's where most of us most regularly connect to one
another. Len Hockley and I then intend to transfer materials generated
here to the Repository website, so we can continue to have access to
them over time.

This past week, Roxana and I hosted a small dinner gathering here in
Seattle that consisted of Dorothea Jewell, Carol Crow, Nancy Lanphear,
Lee and Leah Early and ourselves. In the course of it, I cajoled them
into being the guinea pigs for this endeavor.  We took a couple minutes
to write down our individual brainstorms, then shared them.  What
follows is what we came up with in those two minutes. We didn't try to
evaluate or refine our ideas; it was a brainstorm!  What we wanted was
whatever popped up in our consciousness at the moment, as the things we
felt to be important or valuable in our legacy. (The final item was
contributed by Mark Phillips at Saturday's gathering to celebrate the
Wiltsee's 50th wedding anniversary.)

What you'll see at this point is our raw brainstorm.  It's all over the
place--unorganized, ungestalted, overlapping, apples and oranges and
hopelessly incomplete. (Clearly, something you need to be part
of--please jump in!)  You can easily reply right here and send your
ideas out to the rest of us.  Or you can do it on the Repository web page.

  As our list of things expands, we'll likely get into some great
conversations about what these all too brief (and to other people, I
fear, largely still incomprehensible) words and phrases actually point
to. This is only a starting point.

                Welcome to the Legacy Conversation --

        /So--what for you are some elements or components of our legacy
        that you hope we can in some way share or pass on to future
        generations?/

_/[And now, the sneaky part.  I'm hoping that you will take a
minute--right now--to put your mind to this, pick up your pen and write
down your own personal list of five or ten critical things in that
legacy that come to your mind.  Then continue to scroll down the page to
see the ones a few of us thought of last Friday and Saturday.  Finally,
share your list with the rest of us.  You can skip this step, but it
would be great if you'd do it and see what you come up with before
getting distracted by other people's ideas.  Up to you, /__/of course
/__/--]/_

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o

_/
/_

    * Imaginal Education
    * Contradictional analysis / addressing the root causes
    * Grassroots local community development
    * Consensus formation process
    * Rituals, stories, songs and symbols
    * Grounding in The Way Life Is
    * Comprehensiveness: history long and world wide
    * Depth dialogue
    * RS-I / existential, life questions
    * Intentional community
    * The rational and the intuitive
    * Mapping the spirit interior
    * Stance that life is good
    * Social Process dynamics
    * Life as mission, work as vocation
    * The secular religious order
    * Starting from a shared vision
    * 5th City Principles
    * ToP <http://wiki.wedgeblade.net/bin/view/Main/ToP>facilitation methods
    * The Global Servant Force
    * Curriculum building process
    * Art-Form Method
    * Solitary and corporate practices (rood screen, canonical hours,
      the Odyssey)
    * Contentless methods
    * Story is key
    * Team accountability and absolution
    * Transrational thinking
    * Singing that rehearses the life understanding
    * Use of decor
    * The 4 x 4 lecture building method

To see the page we've set up on the Repository, which is essentially the
same as what's in this note, click on:

http://wiki.wedgeblade.net/bin/view/Main/BrainStorm

Looking forward to hearing from you.  Let's see where this goes --

Gordon