[Dialogue] The Legacy of our Community

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 15:41:27 CST 2010

Ah, jeez, Gordon, I was going to get some work done today, too  . . .

Jim

This world demands the qualities of youth; not a time of life but a state of mind, a temper of the will, a quality of the imagination, a predominance of courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease . . . you, and your young compatriots everywhere, have had thrust upon you a greater burden of responsibility than any generation that has ever lived.  Robert F. Kennedy

Here is my quick listSo--what for you are some elements or components of our legacy that you hope we can in some way share or pass on to future generations?1.  Tips on how  "domestic partners" can flex, bend, be global, manage a household, be gracious, host people, manage and love the creative tension and everything that comes with it . . .2.  The notion of "mission", the "sensitive and responsive part", "social pioneer"  "representational responsibility" has certainly become part of the everyday lexicon of organizations, communities and the lives of people and groups.  Every organization has a mission these days.  Can't help but think all those Church lectures and Niebuhr seminars contributed.  3.  Walk upon the planet, all those places.  David Wood, when he retired from the Board, said (something like), "For years people told us we should get out into the real world, and, when we did, we found a world much bigger, and filled with things that
 the "real world" was hardly aware of.  It is hard to find a place to go where there are not traces . . .  I was talking with a woman this morning who worked 10 years in Zimbabwe "doing (some of ) what we do" and never even encountered the ICA there, got a google alert yesterday about the impact of the consult method / lens / strategic planning on the formation of universities in the former soviet union . . .4.  Awakening, giving a nudge and support to sensitive and engaged global leadership in several areas.  The book from the Mathews legacy event in Washington, DC is replete with testimony from church leaders.  Though I do not have documentation, I believe the same is true out of the Global Women's Forum work re:  women's leadership around the world, and out of LENS treks re:  leadership in corporations and organizational leadership as well.5.  The capacity for collapse and rebirth.  Certainly, the old collective story (Christian Faith and
 Life Community -- Bam!,  move to Evanston -- Bam!,   local church experiment -- Bam!, replication -- Bam! -- ICA USA and ICA International are replaying this great pattern just now), then there are the stories of our personal lives and those we have worked with, and our families -- life and death and life and death and life and death and . . .
I have to finish unloading the dishwasher . . . and now I want to read the list below.

Jim Wiegel

401 North Beverly Way, Tolleson, Arizona 85353-2401

+1  623-363-3277  skype:  jfredwiegel

jfwiegel at yahoo.com   www.partnersinparticipation.com

Upcoming public course opportunities from Partners in Participation:

ToP  Facilitation Methods,    Feb 15-16, May 17-18, Sept 20-21, 2011

Facilitation Graphics, Mar 15, 2011

ToP Strategic Planning,   Nov 8-9, 2011

The AZ Community of Practice meets the 1st Friday- Jan 7, 2011

Facilitation Mastery : Our Mastering the Technology of Participation program is available in Phoenix in 2011-12.  Program begins on Oct 12-14, 2011.  See website for further details.