[Dialogue] The Legacy of our Community

Wayne Nelson wnelson at ica-associates.ca
Wed Dec 8 10:13:59 CST 2010

* Charting
* The Seminar method
* The Guernica and  Requiem for a Heavyweight conversations

I think of these, because they played pivotal roles in the development of a
unique methodology

I¹ve gained a new appreciation for the role that the RS1 seminar methodology
played in the development of our foundational methodology.  After WW2, there
was a real drive to make sense of experience. Being theologians and clergy,
our colleagues gained a great deal from Bultman¹s work in demythologizing.
Bultman and others were doing the same thing JWM et.al wanted to do.
Generate meaning out of human experience and connect it to transcendent
truth enabling people to live authentically or - as people of ³faith.²
Bultman are his lot turned to the phnomonologists and existentialists like
Husserl, Heidegger and Sartre for the process to bleed existential meaning,
initially from sacred literature and theological essays. Kierkegaard was the
figure who stood in both camps, so to speak.

Those two conversations were a very distinctive form of that approach. The
seminar method with its use of charting was another. Charting enabled the
authors to speak for themselves. As the phenomonologists say, ³Begin with
the Œthings¹ themselves. Start at the beginning with what was said, what
happened, what you see ­ what the authour actually says. The conversations
about the story or essay took people through the phenomonological levels to
a grasp of transcendent significance grounded in real life choices. Doing
those seminars enabled us, over time to refine this unique approach to
phenomonalogical inquiry and demythologizing into a four stage process.

We learned to use this methodology to address the challenges of living in
groups, communities, associations and organizations in addition to a
methodology oriented toward Œspiritual formation¹. The event orchestration
worksheets we use in preparation for a facilitation events have their
foundations in the lesson plans for those seminars, for example. Out of
this, a new discipline was born, or at least strengthened.

\\/
Wayne Nelson - ICA Associates Inc
ICA - 416-691-2316 - - - Cell ­ 647-229-6910
http://ica-associates.ca