[Dialogue] Bonhoeffer quote

Terry Bergdall bergdall2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 08:41:18 CST 2010

On 10 Dec 2010, at 07:34, James Wiegel wrote:
> I like George's quote, isn't there a similar one by Bonhoeffer?  something about the challenge is not how to survive, but how the future generations will live . . .

I am not sure about its source nor its exact phrasing (though I think this is close), but here is something I recall:

"The question the man of responsibility asks is not 'how can we extricate ourselves from the current situation' but rather 'how is the coming generation to live?'"

Since I've remembered it for over 40 years, it obviously made a big impression on me.

Terry