[Dialogue] Bonhoeffer quote

Terry Bergdall bergdall2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 09:04:26 CST 2010

The correct version (except for the outdated exclusive language) is better than my memory:

"The ultimate question for a responsible man to ask, is not how to extricate himself heroically from the affair, but how the coming generation is to live."

A Google search revealed this to have been quoted in M. Bosanquet, The Life and Death of Dietrich Bonhoeffer (New York: Harper, 1962), p. 221.