[Dialogue] [Oe List ...] Legacy

R Williams rcwmbw at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 09:19:00 CST 2010

I find Nancy's (and Fred's) first point very interesting because I remember distinctly that we used to say that "symbol" is key, the fifth principle of social development.  However, I now agree with Nancy that today "story" is key, and I think a very good case can be made for that proposition.  In a word, symbol is meaningless, and potentially harmful, if the story it seeks to symbolize is dehumanizing, reductionist, reactionary, etc.  What is taking us into the future is a new story that is now emerging which we, of course, will have to find a way to symbolize.

An interesting add-on to this legacy exercise could be for us to talk about how our insights have modified and our minds have changed over the last 40-50 years.  The shift  from the primacy of symbol to the primacy of story, if that indeed has occurred, may be one of those changes.

Randy