[Dialogue] Hubert Fulkerson, passed away

Jim Baumbach wtw0bl at new.rr.com
Fri Dec 31 22:10:04 CST 2010

Hubert was a very special man.  He and I often shared the task of
cleaning the grease trap in the kitchen in the administration building
in Fifth City.  Although he was much more dependable than I, as a
Permeator, it was my in-house assignment to maintenance.  Hue took pity
on me after I returned home from work and often had things ready for the
evening meal.  One time we had a very serious plugged drain which could
only be fixed in the basement.  (The basement was a dingy, dark place
that hardly anybody dared frequent.)  Little did we know that stuff upon
stuff was hiding just above our heads as we loosened the clean out
plug.  On the last twist on the threads, the plug popped out and
drenched us with yuck.  Smelling like s--t, we shoved a plumber's snake
into the horizontal drain as far as we could reach and when we pulled it
out, the rest of the stuff came with it.  In our hair, on our clothes,
faces slopped with gooey mess straight out of a scary movie, we
rethreaded the plug.  Hue and I shook hands complimenting each other in
a job well done.  Another time I helped him with that ugly old furnace
trying to keep it running in winter.  At that time my Permeation job at
Nalco was the group leader of the boiler research lab.  I had just
invented a revolutionary new all-in-one low pressure boiler treatment
chemical.  I thought it would be great to use it in our boiler since all
of it's specifications were "perfect" for a research test project.  I
had a drum of chemical shipped over from our pilot plant and off-loaded
it to the outside basement entrance.  Hue got to it before I got home
and wrestled that 500 pound drum down the steps and into the boiler
room.  Although, previously, he and I agreed to take it down the stairs
together, he went ahead and did it alone.  To make the free chemical
project feasible, I told my Nalco management that we would test all of
the water in and out of the boiler.  Hue agreed to run the chemical
tests from the test kit I gave him as long as chemical was being added
to the boiler.  However, since the building's heating system did not
have a significant condensate return and the feed of the chemical was
based on the amount of raw water pumped into the boiler, we used up the
drum of chemical in less than a week.  Hue didn't have a chance to run
any tests before the chemical was all gone.  With no test results to
report for the $1,500 worth of chemicals, I was way too embarrassed to
ask Nalco for another drum of chemical.  Besides, Hue told me he saw no
change in the operation of the boiler and really didn't want to bring in
another heavy drum of the stuff since he hurt his back with the first
one.  For me, whenever things got nearly unbearable as a member of the
Order, Hubert was an inspiration for me to stay with it.  He is one of
the saints on my meditative counsel.

Miss you big guy!!!

Jim Baumbach