[Oe List ...] OECommunity "project management" website

Tim Wegner twegner at swbell.net
Thu May 31 23:19:08 EDT 2007

David wrote:

> The Respository website costs only time, not any appreciable amount of money
> to maintain.

I am currently using a relatively small hosting service, emwd.com,
for the wedgeblade.net site. The cost is $10 a month which includes
the two the mailing lists.  I am prepared to donate that amount
indefinitely as one of my contributions to our network.

The advantage of the sites David has located is that they are tailor
made for the uses he intends (project management). Another advantage
is that the site provides most of the configuration and system
administration.

The disadvantage is that we are limited to the feature set they
provide, and there is additional expense if we use more than the bare
minimum.

I like David's recommendation:

> Unless there are specific groups with interest in the "OE Community" site, I
> think that it is more futuric and more realistic to spend time and energy
> building and adding collaboration capability to the Repository site.

However, let me add is that the whole idea of the portal is to point
to any site anyone wants to use. So if David (or anyone else) wants
to host community activities elsewhere, the Portal can point you
there.

That said, many of us find it more daunting to add content to a site
than others. There is something to be said to giving our community a
consistent interface and a chance to get to know the repository
software.

David (or anyone in our network) can create pages at the repository
to suite your needs. The more people who chose to add content, the
stronger the site becomes.

Tim