[Oe List ...] two quotes on gratitude

Charles or Doris Hahn cdhahn at flash.net
Tue Nov 23 17:15:05 CST 2010

I was looking for this Bonhoeffer quote on-line when I ran across the Schweitzer
one; so I will share both. And, incidentally, I continue to give thanks for this
community that continues to keep the flame alive. Thank you, Sandra, for
starting this conversation on thanks and Thanksgiving. And we look forward to
your leadership in the year(s) to come.

1. Gratitude changes the pangs of memory into a tranquil joy.  Dietrich
Bonhoeffer

2. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted
the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Then, a memory to share:  Since Thanksgiving, as we celebrate it, is such an
American holiday, we usually didn't even know when it occurred as we showed up
in other countries around the world. But one memory sticks with me. When Charles
and I were on a three-month "research" trip through the Arab world with Joe and
Carol Pierce in 1966, we were in Tunisia by the end of November (having started
from Chicago the middle of September). In Tunis, we set out to have a
conversation with the White Fathers, an Order with deep roots in North Africa.
While looking for an introduction to them, we visited a Roman Catholic priest
who (though he was a Brit) was a self-appointed chaplain to the American Peace
Corps in Tunisa. There were a couple of Peace Corps members at his place; so we
all chatted, and before we left, one of them invited us to Thanksgiving dinner
to be held that evening. The invitation came as a jolt, since it had not
occurred to us that this was in fact American Thanksgiving Day, as we had eaten
lunch purchased from a local street vendor.

The American accompanied us to the White Fathers that afternoon, and then on to
the Thanksgiving feast that evening where we had turkey with "all the trimmings"
and great conversations with Peace Corps members who had come in from the
hinterlands for the celebration.

Doris Hahn